The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Bombs bursting in cellar?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2008, 12:00 AM   #1
shecky
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3488 Times on 3379 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Bombs bursting in cellar?

Just opened a brown ale snatched from the cellar. The ambient temp down there is about 74. It gushed initially and quickly, though it calmed down once I started the pour.

It has been conditioning for 22 days. Am I sitting on bombs with the rest of the batch?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2008, 01:37 AM   #2
billtzk
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

What kind of sugar did you use to prime, how much, and what process did you follow?

Did it taste good? If so, then the gushing isn't caused by an infection. It might be overcarbed, or you might have jostled it about. Did you chill it before opening it?

Here's what I suggest. Take a couple more bottles at random. Put them in your fridge, chill for several hours or overnight. When ready to sample, take it out of the fridge and handle it gently. Open slowly and smoothly. If it gushes, try the other. If it gushes, you very well may have bottle bombs in your basement.

You can gently pry the cap up on each bottle just enough to slowly release the gas. Try not to bend the cap. Recap it with your capper, you won't need much pressure. That'll probably take care of the problem unless the gushing is from an infection (not too likely).

Reality is a crutch for people who can't cope with drugs. -Lily Tomlin

Old 08-15-2008, 02:33 AM   #3
shecky
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3488 Times on 3379 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Thanks bill. I don't think it's an infection. I had previously put some in the fridge and chilled them and they don't have the gushing problem. I used 3/4 cup corn sugar with two cups water.

Might just be that it was a bit too warm. I was sampling a warmer one to really get the chocolate and coffee flavors that seem to dissipate with chilling. Next time, I'll just take one out of the fridge and let it sit for a few minutes.

Old 08-15-2008, 05:03 AM   #4
billtzk
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Probably too warm like you said. You sugar quantity is good for a five gallon batch.

Reality is a crutch for people who can't cope with drugs. -Lily Tomlin

Quick Reply