Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Blacklight in refrigerator

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2011, 01:00 AM   #1
TheBroonery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Blacklight in refrigerator

Today I got the idea to replace the light in my beer fridge with an incandescent blacklight. Hooked it up and it looks pretty sweet.

My queston is, Should I or the Clear Carboy of Lager in there be worried about light from a blacklight affecting the beer the way sunlight and fluorescent light do?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2011, 01:07 AM   #2
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 606 Times on 376 Posts
Likes Given: 54

A black light is likely worse for your beer than most other household light sources. "Skunking" is caused by biochemical reactions that are accelerated through exposure to UV light...exactly the kind of radiation emitted by a black light.

Old 04-06-2011, 02:01 AM   #3
TheBroonery
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Hmm.. so mabye not wise when I have a clear glass carboy in there, but would the brown glass in an ordinary beer bottle block the wavelength? Also, considering that the light is only on when the door is open, perhaps a total of 1 or 2 minutes per 24-hour cycle, should I leave it in or take it out?

Old 04-06-2011, 02:05 AM   #4
beninan
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Though it may look nice, I would take it out. Even brown bottles do not block 100% of UV rays.

I'm not sure if the specifics of my numbers are right, but I remember reading somewhere that it only takes minutes in direct sunlight for beer in a clear glass to start to show signs of "skunking".

"Stop giving me credit for those stupid quotes! For that last time it wasn't me! STFU NOOB!" <-- Benjamin Franklin

Old 04-06-2011, 02:18 AM   #5
Flywheel
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=4&ved=0CCkQFjAD&url=http%3A %2F%2Fwww.brewangels.com%2FBeerformation%2Fbbrskun king.pdf&rct=j&q=basic%20brewing%20skunking%20beer %20table&ei=5cubTc_5DpCw0QHh3OTjAg&usg=AFQjCNG4R7K rS4fAopf_KRea92Wj9wr6iA&sig2=7YkFsCEZ0Xgy8_Hkfk-teA&cad=rja

If I recall correctly UVA light has a wavelength of 200-400 ... looks like the brown bottles might be ok, but not the clear carboy. But, don't take my word for it.
Keg4: StarSan
Bottle: Belgian Strong Golden Ale
Secondary: 68ºF air
Primary1: Cider
Primary2: Nothing
Planned: hmmmmmm

You mean a woman of your culture and money and beauty and money and wealth and money would, would marry that imposter?

Poison for email spiders

Old 04-06-2011, 02:23 AM   #6
TheBroonery
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I threw a T-shirt over the carboy - what do you guys think?

dscn3061.jpg  

Old 04-06-2011, 02:25 AM   #7
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 606 Times on 376 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Did some VERY light reading.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_light

If Wikipedia is to be trusted (and it's not...but this info passes the common sense test):

Quote:
A black light may also be formed by simply using Wood's glass as the envelope for a common incandescent bulb. This was the method that was used to create the very first black light sources. Although it remains a cheaper alternative to fluorescent tubes, it is exceptionally inefficient at producing UV light since most of the light emitted by the filament is visible light which must be blocked. Due to its black body spectrum, an incandescent light radiates less than 0.1% of its energy as UV light. Incandescent UV bulbs, due to the necessary absorption of the visible light, become very hot during use. This heat is, in fact, encouraged in such bulbs, since a hotter filament increases the proportion of UVA in the black-body radiation emitted.
So, an incandescent black light may actually be LESS harmful to your beer than a regular white lightbulb due to filtering. However, since the fridge is solely for beer, how about removing the interior light altogether? If you like black lights, do something funky to the exterior of the fridge and mount the incandescent black light near it.

Old 04-06-2011, 02:29 AM   #8
brum
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Believe it or not, the wavelengths of UV radiation are so small that they will go straight through the small cotton weaves in the Tshirt.

Plus radiation penetrates through things anyways/creates scattering. Ok I'm done. Just feeling very informed after actually reading ahead in my medical physics class haha

Originally Posted by MyNameIsPaul

We make beer in buckets with toilet parts and coolers, this might not be the best place for you.

Old 04-06-2011, 02:33 AM   #9
TheBroonery
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage View Post
Did some VERY light reading.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_light

If Wikipedia is to be trusted (and it's not...but this info passes the common sense test):

So, an incandescent black light may actually be LESS harmful to your beer than a regular white lightbulb due to filtering. However, since the fridge is solely for beer, how about removing the interior light altogether? If you like black lights, do something funky to the exterior of the fridge and mount the incandescent black light near it.
Ha! I was just looking at that wikipedia page too! The fridge had 4 bulbs in the main compartment to begin with, but since dedicating it to beer, I had unscrewed all but one of the bulbs which gave plenty of light. If I put the blacklight bulb outside the fridge it would expose the other carboy.. plus I don't like how hot the thing gets - I measured over 500 degrees with a laser thermometer after it was on for just a few minutes before I put in the fridge. At least the fridge keeps it cool!

Old 04-06-2011, 02:36 AM   #10
TheBroonery
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brum View Post
Believe it or not, the wavelengths of UV radiation are so small that they will go straight through the small cotton weaves in the Tshirt.
Then how do you explain THIS!?!

Quick Reply