The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > black mold on keezer collar

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2013, 06:06 PM   #1
H22W
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default black mold on keezer collar

My keezer is located in sunroom/porch where the taps often condensate due to humid conditions. The condensation has spread to my unfinished wooden collar causing the collar to mold.

If I were to rebuild collar with a varnished board (polyurethane) should I be able to keep it mold free?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2013, 08:00 PM   #2
LAHammer
Beer makes me look good!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Mold forms when conditions are good - moist and dark. Varnishing or painting the collar will make it easier to clean but won't stop the mold, if it's still moist. You can kill the mold with household bleach. However, it will also bleach the wood, if it hasn't been coated. You can then stain & varnish it or paint it.

Old 09-18-2013, 04:44 AM   #3
RedBeardedBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

There is a handy product designed just for mold that works pretty well. It's called "Mold Armor". I was first introduced to stuff like it at a biology lab in college. There are multiple products out there. Mold Armor is bleach based FYI.

Old 09-18-2013, 02:21 PM   #4
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1900 Times on 1371 Posts
Likes Given: 1045

Mold is not uncommon in conditions that occur with fridges and freezers. I'd definitely coat that bare wood with Urethane or your favorite finish and then clean it once in a while with a bit of bleach cleaner.

And I'm curious about that "Mold Armor" that RedBeard mentions. Might be worth looking into for a recurring problem area.

Quick Reply