Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > A better way to siphon dry hopped beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2010, 11:10 PM   #1
Dgonza9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Default A better way to siphon dry hopped beer?

I've seen a number of posts where brewers attach a hop bag or other devices to the bottom of their racking cane to siphon beer. I've tried this a few times without much luck. Finally, as I was racking my IPA yesterday, I decided to place the hop back on the outlet hose rather than the racking cane. I used a sanitized funnel and then inserted the outlet hose into the sanitized bag and siphoned.

Worked very well and allowed me to make adjustments as I siphoned with no problems and easy cleanup.

So, what's the advantage to using rubber bands, etc. to attach a filter bag to the base of the racking cane? I say, go with the bag over the outlet.

Your thoughts?

Bourbon Barrel Duchesse De Bourgnone
Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

on Deck: Lager?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2010, 11:46 PM   #2
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

My thought is that you quite possibly oxidized your beer by placing the bag over the outlet of the hose, you also risked clogging your siphon.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 10-03-2010, 11:49 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4637 Times on 3368 Posts
Likes Given: 909

I can't picture how you did it on the outlet. If you can do it without any splashing or oxidation, that would be fine. I just can't see how to do it without introducing oxygen.

That said, I don't put anything over the racking cane. I just siphon as regular, although I start in the middle when I start the siphon. They loose leaf hops are usually floating, while the pellets have sunk (I use a combo of hops, loose and pellets) and if I start the siphon in the middle, I don't seem to disturb either layer. When I get near the bottom, I lower the racking cane to just above the trub layer. It works for me, and I don't use a filter/bag/funnel at all.

Old 10-04-2010, 03:04 AM   #4
Wingfan13
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I just went through this exact thing the other day. For some reason I had a lot of floating hops throughout my beer after dry hopping. They never settled like I thought they would. I put a hop bag on the end of my autosiphon but stopped right away when I noticed a lot of bubbles when bottling. I removed it right away and just ended up getting a lot of pieces coming through the siphon.

Old 10-04-2010, 04:37 AM   #5
Dgonza9
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I suppose I might have introduced oxygen to my beer. Should've known there was a reason to do it the PITA way on the racking cane. I don't think it created much in the way of bubbles, though. No more than usual, anyway. My siphon tube doesn't got to the bottom of the corny, so some foam is involved for me. Tough to tell if the foam is star san or air from siphoning. I'd say I had less than usual, but can't be sure.

Bourbon Barrel Duchesse De Bourgnone
Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

on Deck: Lager?

Old 10-04-2010, 04:03 PM   #6
shroomzofdoom
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I tried on the bottom of the siphon hose too, same experience---it just slows down the siphon and creates air bubbles that eventually stops the siphon. I went with a variant of what you're doing:

When I rack to a keg/bottling bucket, I just line the receiving vessel with a 5G paint strainer bag from Lowe's. Rack as normal with the output hose under the level of the beer to prevent oxidation. When transfer is complete, remove siphon and gently raise the bag out of the beer, hops and all.

My electric BCS-460 build (work in progress)

Coffin cooling lessons

Old 10-04-2010, 05:59 PM   #7
tallybrewer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Shroom; that's brilliant.

I sanitized a piece of panty hose & wrapped it around the intake of my racking cane. But I like shroom's solution much better.

Don't drink & drive. Don't even putt.
- Dean Martin

Old 10-04-2010, 07:06 PM   #8
shroomzofdoom
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Oh yeah, and make sure it's a sanitized paint strainer bag. I drop it in boiling water for 5-10 minutes before I use it.

My electric BCS-460 build (work in progress)

Coffin cooling lessons

Old 10-05-2010, 02:37 AM   #9
CrAzYmOuSe
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sound like PITA to me. I dry hop with a small muslin bag with weights (marbles) tied to a fishing line. Just pull it out and squeeze it to get the hop goodness. Rack and you are good to go, no worries about clogging and it makes for an easy clean up.

Old 10-05-2010, 12:18 PM   #10
tallybrewer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Crazy, that sounds great until you are dry hopping with 2 oz of whole hops in a glass carboy.

Don't drink & drive. Don't even putt.
- Dean Martin

Quick Reply