Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Which is better, 2 4-way distributors or 1 7-way distributor.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2010, 05:01 AM   #1
262andbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Which is better, 2 4-way distributors or 1 7-way distributor.

Hey all, I am just starting out in the world of kegging. I got a CO2 tank, regulator, and 4 pin lock corny kegs from a pal that is 'retiring' for a bit. But no manifold or distributor, so I can only power 1 keg at a time.

I have built a collar onto an older chest freezer, have a Johnson Controller to keep the temp, and am about 3 days from racking my first keg into a nice clean keg. But the next batch is in primary and will want to split that CO2 pretty soon. That brings me to my question.

7 is the max number of kegs I am going to fit in this keezer, so the 7vs8 is not a deal breaker.
Each individual output will have a shutoff.
If I go with the 2 manifolds I might be able to make the tubing a little neater and I can spend half my money now and half of it in 4 months when I pick up a few more kegs.
With one part there are fewer things floating around in the keezer.
With 2, I can replace (at $45) each half if I ever have a breakdown.
With 1, there is fewer connections to leak.
With 2, If (and big IF) I ever want to have 2 regulators I can have half of the kegs at a higher serving pressure, or have half of the system for carbonating and half for serving.

sorry for the stream of consciousness

I am interested in your thoughts, please throw out other pros and cons to the 2 options. Cheers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2010, 01:44 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

If you ever decide to get a second regulator so you can have different pressures/carbonation levels, you'll be happy that you went with 2 x4.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 05-26-2010, 01:47 PM   #3
bendavanza
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You can never have too many co2 options and outlets. I seem to need an extra all the time to purge and seal kegs.

Tags
distributors, manifolds

Quick Reply