Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Best solution for cleaning beer lines

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2012, 06:04 PM   #1
cincybrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default Best solution for cleaning beer lines

I've posted a couple times over here about some off flavors I've been experiencing and I think I narrowed it down to the beer lines. I tried running oxiclean through them but that didn't seem to work. So what is the best solution to use to clean out beer lines. I've seen PBW and BLC but don't have any experience with either of these. Is one different than the other and can both be used for cleaning the lines? Thanks!

Old 04-10-2012, 06:09 PM   #2
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 425 Times on 295 Posts
Likes Given: 321

I actually bought some BLC when I first started kegging and have never used it. My usual routine now (flame suit on) is to rinse well with hot water and then sanitize with star san. I haven't had any problems with off flavors. I do use saniclean to help get odors out of my buckets, you could try that, it seems to work well. If it's that bad, why not just replace the beer lines? It's not that expensive.

Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2012, 06:22 PM   #3
Special Hops
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Yeah just replace the lines if you suspect them. They are cheap.

I use BLC when I change to a new batch of beer. And about once a year I take everything completely apart - taps, fittings, everything. And give it all a good cleaning with oxyclean and star-San. Then re-assemble with new lines.

Up Next: Oatmeal Stout

Old 04-10-2012, 06:26 PM   #4
PVH
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

Whenever I soak a keg in oxiclean or PBW, I'll throw in some beer line. I always disassemble and starsan my kegs before storage, so the lines get a good starsaning as well. Both PBW and oxiclean seem to do a good job.

I can't see taking the time to come up with a special process for cleaning beer line, as it's pretty cheap. But integrating cleaning the line into what I'm already doing is easy.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:31 PM   #5
two_hearted
Hold on to your butts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 42

whatever you do, don't sanitize your keg with iodophor and then push it out of you keg through your serving line. That is unless you'd like brownish tubing forever. That was the first and last time I used iodophor.

I fill a bucket with hot water and PBW and throw in my disassembled faucet, shank and serving line minus the disconnect. Let them soak and then rinse. It works for me.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:48 PM   #6
gregL86
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBL_Brewer
I actually bought some BLC when I first started kegging and have never used it. My usual routine now (flame suit on) is to rinse well with hot water and then sanitize with star san. I haven't had any problems with off flavors. I do use saniclean to help get odors out of my buckets, you could try that, it seems to work well. If it's that bad, why not just replace the beer lines? It's not that expensive.
I remember reading somewhere that you're not supposed to use hot water to clean draft lines as it melts the hose a little bit and makes the inside bumpy and causes your beer to foam. Did I just make this up?

Old 04-10-2012, 08:02 PM   #7
Psych
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Depends on the off-flavor in question I guess. If it's a plastic taste, from perhaps new lines of the cheaper variety, I've had some success flushing them with hot (hot!) water for a good 5 minutes, sort of empty the entire keg of water sorta thing.

Then BLC it, then run cold water through, that took care of a lot of the plastic taste for me.

If it's just gunk or beer deposit taste or something the same might work fine, anything warm/hot should work wonders, even if it doesn't have a cleaner in it. Chase it with some PBW or BLC, then flush with cold for a while.

Replacing lines with high quality new lines of course would work, but that's a huge hassle in most cases, like if you have a tower.

Donor Fridge Fermentation Chamber

Old 04-10-2012, 08:04 PM   #8
Psych
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregL86 View Post
I remember reading somewhere that you're not supposed to use hot water to clean draft lines as it melts the hose a little bit and makes the inside bumpy and causes your beer to foam. Did I just make this up?
I've run HOT water through mine at one point, for a while, and no bad effects. The hose pours beer just fine still.

That being said it may not be the BEST idea, maybe I just got lucky...

Donor Fridge Fermentation Chamber

Old 04-10-2012, 10:22 PM   #9
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 425 Times on 295 Posts
Likes Given: 321

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregL86 View Post
By hot water I mean hot tap water. It's not scalding hot, but warm enough to rinse away the residual beer before I sanitize. Works for me, YRMV.

Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:09 AM   #10
goosegrease
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default BBL Brewer, I'll borrow your flame suit!

When I empty a keg, I will rinse the keg a few times with hot water, then add a gallon or so of hot water and oxy, shake it up let it sit for a while shake some more and turn it over. I will then hook it up to gas and push that through the line. I them empty the keg and rinse a few times , then put a gallon or so of hot water back in, hook it up to gas and push that through. then I dump a gallon jug of star san dilution in the keg and shake it up , hook that to gas and discard the first few ounces as it comes out of the tap , then recapture the rest.

DEMONSTRABLY EXCITED ABOUT BEER

Quick Reply