The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Best place to buy a kegging system?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2008, 05:03 PM   #11
Go Gators
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Thank you roaringbrewer I will be sure to e-mail him. Great idea to just try and put together my own little kit. It was actually $450 shipped. I don't need the 10#, but I sure do have room...13.3 cu ft. freezer, and nothing in it... I am stoked!

EDIT: Pol I looked at that, and it says on the home page that they give you all new o-rings and such.

On Tap - Sam Adam's Boston Lager
Next - Nothing at the moment
Reading - Radical Brewing

GO GATORS!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2008, 05:05 PM   #12
RoaringBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol
I bought my stuff at Midwest Supplies... some places dont even replace the seals and o-rings, they recommend that you do, and charge MORE for the kegs. I bought all of my equipment from Midwest, it arrived in perfect condition.
FWIW, Midwest is one of my favorite suppliers of ingredients, etc. when I can't make it to the LHBS. However, I did some very detailed analysis before purchasing from kegconnection.com between kegconnection, Midwest, Austin Homebrew, morebeer.com and some other generic kegerator.com, etc. sites and for the "package" deal I couldn't beat kegconnection. You can feel free to double check all the sites and try to assemble a package for a competitive price if you please (in fact, prices might have changed since i purchased 6 mo. ago), but kegconnection beat everyone else in price by minimum $50, even > $100 in some cases. At some of the vendors it wasn't even possible to get some of the parts that come with the kc packages - for example the triple guage regulator would have been special order on some sites, etc.

Also, kegconnection "refurbished" both kegs I got and supplied an extra set of rings for both kegs.

You guys probably think I am affiliated somehow with how I rave about them, but trust me I am not. Just very happy with my purchase and the price I got from them.

It IS possible to get a better price on some individual pieces of the puzzle through ebay, other vendors, or other means, but splitting up your "package" purchase between 3-4 vendors kills you on shipping - so purchasing from one place is the way to go...

EDIT: I think ohio will back me on this. We were purchasing our kegging equipment at the same time and he did a similar analysis and couldn't beat KC...

Currently Consuming (HB): Apfelwein on Tap Troegs Hopback on Tap; Craft Bottles
Fermenting/Conditioning: Up Next: Hop Trio American Wheat, Lake Walk Pale Ale
In Planning Stage: Farmhouse Saison and Something Oaked.

Old 04-15-2008, 05:11 PM   #13
cheezydemon
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Are all cornies/firestones going to be ~ 9" across? And how tall?

BOTTLED: "Route 66 IPA" 7% ABV, "Dave's Imperial Stout" 12% ABV , "Spider Imperial Stout" 9%ABV , "Mutt Irish Ale" 7% ABV, "Sorta Sierra" IPA's 4.4% ABV, "Habanero Ales" 5.5% ABV, "Pumpkin Seed Ale" 5.5% ABV , "Marzen" Lager, "Step child Ale",
PRIMARies: "Caramel Amber" , "Black Porter"
SECONDARIES:1 :"Miller Ale"
On DECK: Another Russian Stout

Old 04-15-2008, 05:12 PM   #14
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 48 Posts

About 26" tall with the gas and beer connections.

Old 04-15-2008, 05:15 PM   #15
The Pol
Recipes 

I bought the (2) keg, kegerator kit from Midwest about a month ago and also compared at Keg Connection, Midwest was a better deal at the time for the whole kit (2-kegs, new CO2, regulator, 2-shanks, 2-taps, drip tray etc...)

EDIT: I bought the above mentioned kit, PLUS (2) additional kegs, shipped, for $378 from Midwest..
Looks like you can get this same setup from KEGCONNECTION today for $376

Last edited by The Pol; 04-15-2008 at 05:28 PM.

Old 04-15-2008, 05:49 PM   #16
Go Gators
Recipes 

Pol I hate to be a burden, but I was unable to find that setup on midwest's web site. Do you happen to remember where that was listed? Thanks man.

GO GATORS!

Old 04-15-2008, 05:52 PM   #17
The Pol
Recipes 

Not a burden! Here is the link... I bought (2) additional kegs at the same time because it barely added anything to the shipping charge!

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/produ...px?ProdID=6858

Old 04-15-2008, 06:03 PM   #18
Go Gators
Recipes 

Thank you much!

GO GATORS!

Old 04-15-2008, 06:19 PM   #19
Liquidicem
I love lamp!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Midwest also offers this kit:
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/produ...px?ProdID=7739
I'm looking at this one because I also want forward sealing faucet which don't come with the kit Pol linked. This seems to be close to the best price I've found and it comes with a double regulator.

Don't poop in your fermenter when the lid is off and you'll be fine.

Last edited by Liquidicem; 04-15-2008 at 06:23 PM.

Old 04-15-2008, 06:46 PM   #20
RoaringBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol
I bought the (2) keg, kegerator kit from Midwest about a month ago and also compared at Keg Connection, Midwest was a better deal at the time for the whole kit (2-kegs, new CO2, regulator, 2-shanks, 2-taps, drip tray etc...)

EDIT: I bought the above mentioned kit, PLUS (2) additional kegs, shipped, for $378 from Midwest..
Looks like you can get this same setup from KEGCONNECTION today for $376
No doubt Midwest has some decent prices on some of their set-ups. Per your analysis they definitely appear to be dead-on the KC price for that set-up (with shanks, etc. as opposed to towers and such)...

I will note however that the set-up you reference above differs a bit from what I analyzed in pricing when I purchased. In addition to whats with that kit, I got (from KC) a 1) tower kit [I don't see tower even offered on Midwest?] 2) the triple-guage regulator [your kit shows dual only] and 3) perlick faucets... as noted, all for only $12 more than what you noted. Now, granted you got 2 extra cornies, but I picked them up for $50 shipped later when I realized I needed more kegs.

So to extend the analysis: All in all, even if you consider I paid $440 for the setup I have (4 kegs, 5lb. co2, lines, valves & quick connects, tower with perlicks, triple reg, etc.), that's only about $62 more than your purchase. $62 isn't bad for a SS tower, 2 perlicks, and 3 regs... This is why I couldn't get midwest prices to compare I think when I purchased a few months back...

EDIT: I didn't get a drip-tray in my cost analysis above. I purchased a tray from Todd later... so, prices are comparable generally (for the picnic tap or shank kits), but I don't think midwest offers a comparable tower kit.

Currently Consuming (HB): Apfelwein on Tap Troegs Hopback on Tap; Craft Bottles
Fermenting/Conditioning: Up Next: Hop Trio American Wheat, Lake Walk Pale Ale
In Planning Stage: Farmhouse Saison and Something Oaked.

Last edited by RoaringBrewer; 04-15-2008 at 06:54 PM.

Quick Reply