Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Best place to buy? Kegerator conversion kit

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2013, 02:30 PM   #11
naga77777
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 646

www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC7MDb0IuLs
This is (in my opinion) one of the best video series to watch. Clear, concise, and pretty much takes you through the entire process. Once i had watched this series a couple times, i quit looking for other "how to" vids.

Also, for force carbing, there are 2 ways most people do it. The "set it and forget it" method-- which is where you set the co2 regulator to your serving pressure and let the beer carbonate to that pressure over a week or more.

Then there's "burst carbing" where you crank up the pressure, in order to get the beer carbonated quicker. Theres 2 common ways ive seen to do this. First, theres the "rock and roll" method where you set the reg to 20ish psi, and rock/roll the keg around on your lap or the floor. I tried that, but wasnt happy that i got beer in my gas line. (Doesnt happen to everybody.).

Next, there has been a methid ive read about, and Biermuncher is the one off the top of my head who i remember seeing write about it. He said if he's in a hurry, he will just set the reg to 30psi, wait 36 hours, purge the keg, and set to serving pressure. No moving/rocking the keg necessary. I havent tried this way yet, but i will on my next batch.

All the aforementioned carbonation methods and listed pressures require the kegs to be cold.

Theres a nifty chart (in color too!) on kegerators.com that shows you how many volumes of co2 you get in your beer, according to the temp of the keg versus the psi of your regulator. Thats my favorite one.

Next, there is a keg balance calculator that tells how long your beer lines need to be if serving at a certain pressure, or conversely what pressure you need to serve at for a given length of beer line. (So you dont pour glasses full of foam)

I used those 2 things to determine what temp to set my fridge, what psi to serve at, and what length beer line to get. I can say i read many times to get beer lines about twice as long as you think you need. I got 10 foot lines, and am VERY happy i did. Most kits come with 5 ft lines, so see if you can upgrade for a small price.

Will try and link you to the chart and calculator i referenced when i get on the desktop PC. Am typing this on the droid.

EDIT: Here ya go:

http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php

http://www.iancrockett.com/brewing/i...gbalance.shtml

Secondary 1: Skeeter Pee
Secondary 2: Air
Kegged: Two Hearted Clone, Graff, BM Centennial Blonde (again :) )
People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 10:20 PM   #12
befus
Mr. Infecto
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdmanBrewingCo View Post
OP - We'd love if you'd give us a look too. We're a forum sponsor and you can check the reviews - solid prices, solid service.

http://www.birdmanbrewing.com/index.php

Thanks for considering us!
Read this and did this very thing. Ordered a two keg fridge conversion kit today. Best price I found and a sponsor=win/win to me.

Award winning:
Northern Brown Ale

"Guess I'll watch some TV, cuz it's nice to see people more messed up than me."

Primary:
Bottled: Wee Ain't Heavy (Wee Heavy);
Kegged: Brown Rhyno Old Ale (Rye Knot+ clone); Second Amendment Vanilla/Bourbon Porter; Pale Ale (a'la EdWort's Haus Pale);
On Deck: Northern Brown; Kolsch; Apricot wheat,

Old 01-23-2013, 12:55 AM   #13
KingKlong
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I'm now considering doing as I have with this hobby all along, and buying a little at a time. Are the basic kits with picnic faucets worth consideration? I eventually want 3 taps in the door of my fridge, but I'm not sure I want to spend that amount at one time.

Another question. I guess its best to have a spare keg and gas tank?

Old 01-23-2013, 02:12 PM   #14
BirdmanBrewingCo
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by befus View Post
Read this and did this very thing. Ordered a two keg fridge conversion kit today. Best price I found and a sponsor=win/win to me.
Thanks for the support!

www.birdmanbrewing.com
401-400-BREW (2739)

Facebook BirdmanBrewingCompany

BeerSmith 2.1 just $21.89 every day!

Old 03-02-2013, 11:25 AM   #15
KingKlong
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Another question would be, how do I determine the necessary length of the shank? Do I just try to measure the door thickness? I have seen lengths between 4 & 5" with kits.

Old 03-02-2013, 01:15 PM   #16
billysparrows
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

+1 on birdman. Best prices I found and great customer service.

Old 03-02-2013, 02:03 PM   #17
gtskinner
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Piece together or Buy a kit?

It's time. I just bought a, brand new never used, 14.8 Maytag off C's list for $275, $449 in HD! Aside from the $$$ savings, I decided to go bigger off the bat to have room lagering, bottled beer storage, Co2 inside etc. I want to start with a four tap system. The question is, would I save by piecing it together or buying a kit? If a kit, I already know I'd want to find a supplier that would work with me on upgrades like perlik faucets, ss shanks, 10 ft. hoses, manifold etc. I do not want to later be saying"I wish I would've"! One more thing, I always like to try and support locals, suppliers, but this doesn't look like it's gonna be cheap so I will go with best deal or so says my financial advisor/ social planner! Thanks, Gunny!

BEER is the answer, but I can't remember the question! (unknown)

Quick Reply