The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Best commercial beer bottles for homebrew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2009, 10:34 PM   #21
WillPall
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I'll add my 2 cents and say I prefer Rogue because I swear they are darker than other bottles and they seem pretty thick to me. Sierra Nevada are also good, but the low profile and wider bottle can be a PITA as Palefire suggested above. Too bad Sam Adams says "Sam Adams" on the side or they would be my top pick.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2009, 10:55 PM   #22
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 228 Times on 191 Posts

Sam Adams can be hit or miss...sometimes they are tough to cap and break. I find SN bottles are easy to deal with. The easiest by far is Harp.

Old 11-26-2009, 04:38 AM   #23
MrInternet
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

+1 on Budweiser American Ale bottles... I think they have a tiny Bud logo on the shoulder, but they are nice thick glass.

Best non-descript bottles I think are Rogue, Bell's, and Harpoon (except their labels are hell to get off)...

Old 11-26-2009, 09:25 AM   #24
Prionburger
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I like Newcastle bottles, because I can easily see how the beer is clearing up. Yeah, they let light in, but you shouldn't be storing your beer in the light anyways.

A close second would be Anchor Steam bottles. They have a sweet teardrop shape, and are the easiest to remove labels from, in my experience.

Old 11-26-2009, 01:52 PM   #25
Scimmia
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

By far the thickest bottles I've found are from Erdinger and Ayinger. I wayed them one time, and they were something like 50% heavier than the standard bottles, far thicker than even the American Ale bottles people are mentioning. I don't bother saving new bottles any more, but I always save those.

Old 11-26-2009, 01:56 PM   #26
Marko73
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would take a look at your local microbrews. Where I am there are two that I consistenttly buy from and the bottles they use are the exact same as the ones we would by from a homebrew store. (no embossing)

"It is sheer folly to be taken by the hand and led down the path of better brewing by someone who says that they know it all. No, it is your experience that counts most. It is your experience that will always lead you to more questions."

~Charlie Papazian

Old 11-26-2009, 01:58 PM   #27
Baldy_Beer_Brewery
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Another nod to Sierra Nevada. They delabel easily, have no markings like Sam Adams, New Belgium and many others (important IMHO as you are planning on gifting them) and I enjoy drinking them.

Old 11-26-2009, 02:40 PM   #28
HOP-HEAD
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Agree with the Sam Adams... nice bottles, exceptionally easy to clean. Perfer anything from Victory, though. Better beer and just as simple to clean...

Truthfully, I've had good luck with any labels that feel papery.... usually fall right off. If they feel glossy, they often come off, but they're often more troubling too... you have to try 'em to know.

And.... if you can find a few friends to drink the crap, i also agree with the Bud American Ale. Cool bottles, and much cheaper to quickly stock up on if you need them soon.

Old 11-26-2009, 03:18 PM   #29
bikefoolery
Cycling + Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Get a bench capper, I've yet to break a bottle in 30+ batches. And Anchor bottles are beautiful for presentation.

Old 11-29-2009, 03:43 PM   #30
Kingofkharma
Recipes 

Another bottle that's not embossed plus labels that fall right off is Smithwick's.

Quick Reply