Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Best beginner kegging system for around $200.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2009, 12:50 AM   #21
Jmac
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Looks like I am going to go with the kegconnection 2 keg setup but modified a bit.. Going to upgrade to the taprite dual regulator and then remove the co2 tank and manifold options.. All will cost around $200 with shipping.. Still need to get a tank from the welding supply.. Hopefully I can pick one up for around 55 dollars which is what kegconnections was going to cost me.

I worked with them today and the person I spoke to Ben was very friendly.

Thanks everyone for the tips!!! I cant wait for the purchase to be final and the kit shipped!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2009, 02:40 AM   #22
zacster
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts

I guess I don't have to ask the same questions. I'm looking for a kegging system myself and was looking at Midwest and Austin, but the KegConnection seems cheaper.

I live in NYC where I probably can't get a tank filled, only swapped. I know I can't fill a propane tank. Does anybody know for sure? It's too late to call a supplier to find out.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:23 PM   #23
JesseRC
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
Looks like I am going to go with the kegconnection 2 keg setup but modified a bit.. Going to upgrade to the taprite dual regulator and then remove the co2 tank and manifold options.. All will cost around $200 with shipping.. Still need to get a tank from the welding supply.. Hopefully I can pick one up for around 55 dollars which is what kegconnections was going to cost me.

I worked with them today and the person I spoke to Ben was very friendly.

Thanks everyone for the tips!!! I cant wait for the purchase to be final and the kit shipped!!

For 55 dollars I would have just gotten the tank from them. Sure you might have to exchange it, but atleast you'd have it. Unless you're looking for a 10# or 20# tank. Ben personally delivered a order to me yesterday, he's a really young guy, but he's always on top of customer service and returns all my calls.

As for filling and exchanging co2, what I have learned is most city's have both, you just have to ask around. Some places only exchange, if so, ask them who fills there empty tanks, and go from there. You might also ask around who does there hydro testing , and fire and safety companys also fill or exchange tanks. Som Home Depots do exchanges, as well as some Northern Tool's. Ask some local bars who they use.

Jesse

Primaries: Mojave Red (AG)
Kegs: Hibiscus Saison (AG), Orange Kolsch (AG) , Cocunut Porter
Future Brew: Wee Heavy

Old 02-20-2009, 11:08 PM   #24
tklarose
Recipes 

Take a look at this site. I bought mine here with no problems. Homebrew Kegging System

Whatever you buy you will enjoy. I love mine! It will be one of your best purchases.

Life begins at 60-1.060 that is!

Old 02-21-2009, 04:05 AM   #25
Jmac
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yep, Called the welding supply about 5 minutes from the house before making the purchase... The didn't have any tanks in stock but could fill it for less than 10 bucks... I am a happy camper!!! So I just went ahead and ordered the 5# tank...

I cant wait for it to get here.. They said to look for it on Monday or Tuesday

The only thing though is I went over my budget a little BUT..I think I came out pretty good with the setup I got.. I have the basics to get me up and going and hopefully dont have to upgrade what I bought later besides more kegs and better taps...etc..

Total was around $280

This included the basic 2 keg kit, upgraded 2 body taprite reg, co2 tank, all hoses and attachments, some lube and extra seals.. o and some 1lb pbw.. I removed the manifold that was included in the kit so I could upgrade to the better reg..,

Shipping and taxes added about 37 dollars to the total.. They are in Texas and I am too so I got hit with the tax.. I hate taxes!!!

Old 02-21-2009, 04:06 AM   #26
Jmac
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I love this website and its members!!!!

Old 02-21-2009, 08:18 AM   #27
TwoHeadsBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
Yep, Called the welding supply about 5 minutes from the house before making the purchase... The didn't have any tanks in stock but could fill it for less than 10 bucks... I am a happy camper!!! So I just went ahead and ordered the 5# tank...

I cant wait for it to get here.. They said to look for it on Monday or Tuesday

The only thing though is I went over my budget a little BUT..I think I came out pretty good with the setup I got.. I have the basics to get me up and going and hopefully dont have to upgrade what I bought later besides more kegs and better taps...etc..

Total was around $280

This included the basic 2 keg kit, upgraded 2 body taprite reg, co2 tank, all hoses and attachments, some lube and extra seals.. o and some 1lb pbw.. I removed the manifold that was included in the kit so I could upgrade to the better reg..,

Shipping and taxes added about 37 dollars to the total.. They are in Texas and I am too so I got hit with the tax.. I hate taxes!!!
Right on man, congrats on your kegging setup. Make sure to post back when you get the kit in and share some beer pr0n with us!

Fermenting: ESB
Kegged: Extra IPA, Brown Ale, American Wheat, Blackheart Stout
Coming Up: Dunkleweizen, 3C Pale Ale

DIY Fermentation Chamber
More Brew Stuff

Old 02-22-2009, 12:29 PM   #28
JesseRC
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

yeah congrats. What I have learned is that this hobby is so addicting and yet so rewarding, which kinda makes the addicting part worse.

Jesse

Primaries: Mojave Red (AG)
Kegs: Hibiscus Saison (AG), Orange Kolsch (AG) , Cocunut Porter
Future Brew: Wee Heavy

Old 02-22-2009, 02:11 PM   #29
fishnfever
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseRC View Post
yeah congrats. What I have learned is that this hobby is so addicting and yet so rewarding, which kinda makes the addicting part worse.
This is soooo true!!!!!!!!!!

PHP Code:
Originally Posted by Jmac  
Looks like I am going to go with the kegconnection 2 keg setup but modified a bit
.. Going to upgrade to the taprite dual regulator and then remove the co2 tank and manifold options.. All will cost around $200 with shipping.. Still need to get a tank from the welding supply.. Hopefully I can pick one up for around 55 dollars which is what kegconnections was going to cost me

I worked with them today and the person I spoke to Ben was very friendly.

Thanks everyone for the tips!!! I cant wait for the purchase to be final and the kit shipped!! 

You will not be disappointed, Good Joice.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:35 PM   #30
Dagatris
Recipes 

I'm kind of confused by all of this, could someone enlighten me?

The taprite regulator is better than the one from Midwest because it is of higher quality, correct? Seems like a few people have had issues with the Midwest regulators.

But the Midwest regulator is a dual-gauge, so you can force carb and serve 2 seperate tanks at the same time. Jmac, you said you upgraded to a dual-gauge Taprite regulator. Is this the option that would be a $30 increase? Do you feel that it was worth the price jump?

Why would you remove the manifold? I guess cause it's only required if you have a single gauge regulator? Did you have to specifically ask them to deduct this from the price when you upgraded to the dual-gauge?

I think, having typed all this out, that I kind of answered my own questions. But I'd appreciate some confirmation from those with more experience in this area.

Drinking: Irish Stout, Ed's Apfelwein, Chocolate Stout, Holiday Spiced Ale, Irish Red Ale, Watermelon Wine

Quick Reply