Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Best beginner kegging system for around $200.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2009, 01:42 AM   #1
Jmac
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Best beginner kegging system for around $200.

The wife has given me the ok to purchase a new kegging system. My price range is going to be close to $200. The best deal I have found so far is from Midwest(link below). Anyone have any suggestions on a better purchase? I would prefer to use the picnic taps for now to save on cost and to spend more money on the kegs, reg and tank... So I am not looking for the fridge conversion option at this point but when I get more money would like to update the system with the "better" taps..

Brew Logic Dual Tap Draft System- with NEW Aluminum CO2 Tank

Brew Logic Dual Tap Draft System- with NEW Aluminum CO2 Tank :: Midwest Supplies Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies

Any help would be appreciated!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2009, 01:50 AM   #2
DanVader
Recipes 

kegconnection.com

Old 02-18-2009, 01:55 AM   #3
Baja_Brewer
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Midwest had the best deals when I was looking, I went ahead and bought 4 kegs from Pedalbiker as well so that I can have some for conditioning. Other people will recommend kegconnection.com and others. For the money though, you may want to try piecing together the system. Nikobrew has a great deal on some 5# tanks, cheap cornies from the classifieds (or CHI Company ball lock kegs for sale is {EDIT: was} having a sale, depending on where you're located) and picnic taps can be obtained for real cheap from AHS or other places on your next supply order.

Again, the systems from Midwest are fantastic if doing separate purchases dont add up as well!

Courage les garçons, et patience, vos femmes vont finir par apprécier la bière !

Old 02-18-2009, 02:01 AM   #4
Gumbys_Brew
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Kegerator Conversion Kits for Home Bar Draft Beer Equipment | BeverageFactory.com

thats where i got mine from. cheapest i found.
Bottled- empty
Keg 1- Irish Blonde Ale
Keg 2-empty

Old 02-18-2009, 03:30 AM   #5
boogyman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbys_Brew View Post
+1 for beveragefactory. I've ordered most of my parts from there (pieced everything together), and they're usually the cheapest.

Old 02-18-2009, 04:24 PM   #6
rudy0498
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I bought the kit from Midwest with the double body, dual guage regulator. If you want a 2 keg kit, you just can't beat the price. This is especially valuable because you can force carb 1 keg and serve out of another keg at the same time. You'd be hard pressed to piece together the parts for this type of kit for any cheaper unless you get some unreal deals. I haven't seen double body regulators for much cheaper than $100. And that doesn't leave a lot of money left of to locate the rest of the parts...especially if you are paying shipping from multiple places.

One thing to note, they make the regulators for the "Brew Logic" kits and they are not the highest quality. So you get what you pay for to some extent. Several people (including myself) have had issues with leaks and broken gauges. But Midwest's customer service is excellent and they will help you resolve any issues you might have.

So if you are willing to deal with the potential hassle of troubleshooting some issues in order to save money, get the kit from Midwest. If not, I've heard good things about Keg Connection and Beverage Factory.

Old 02-18-2009, 04:34 PM   #7
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 165 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Make sure you can get a tank filled before you buy a nice shiny aluminum one. Most places will only exchange tanks. You will be waving bye bye to your new tank and hauling an old rusty steel tank home.

Old 02-18-2009, 04:35 PM   #8
JesseRC
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Keg connection carries taprite regs which are really great.

Jesse

Primaries: Mojave Red (AG)
Kegs: Hibiscus Saison (AG), Orange Kolsch (AG) , Cocunut Porter
Future Brew: Wee Heavy

Old 02-18-2009, 04:54 PM   #9
TwoHeadsBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 2

+1 on BeverageFactory.com, they have great kits and great prices. I'd get a 2 keg kit, but since you'll be swapping out the CO2 tank just leave that out of the kit. Go to your local welding supply or beverage supply store and get a tank to swap out.

2 Keg Basic Keg Kit, Dispenses two kegs at once! (Separate Check Valves!)
$148.95 NO CO2 CYLINDER

Fermenting: ESB
Kegged: Extra IPA, Brown Ale, American Wheat, Blackheart Stout
Coming Up: Dunkleweizen, 3C Pale Ale

DIY Fermentation Chamber
More Brew Stuff

Old 02-18-2009, 05:56 PM   #10
rudy0498
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post
+1 on BeverageFactory.com, they have great kits and great prices. I'd get a 2 keg kit, but since you'll be swapping out the CO2 tank just leave that out of the kit. Go to your local welding supply or beverage supply store and get a tank to swap out.

2 Keg Basic Keg Kit, Dispenses two kegs at once! (Separate Check Valves!)
$148.95 NO CO2 CYLINDER

This kit with the same options as the Midwest kit above is about $40 more ($238 w/ CO2 tank, and dual body regulator). I don't remember it being quite this cheap from Keg Connection. Knowing what I know now, I might have shelled out the extra $40 for this kit with the better regulator. (I also didn't know the Brew Logic Regulator was homemade at the time).

$60 isn't a lot for a CO2 tank from what I've seen, even if you are just trying to get into an exchange program. Maybe you can get lucky and find someone who is practically giving them away on craigslist, which I watched like a hawk and was never able to accomplish. Obviously check your local area first, but Ebay is the cheapest I've found and they are still about $55-60 after shipping.

Quick Reply