Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Belgian Bottles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2012, 04:03 PM   #1
LouBrew13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts

Default Belgian Bottles

I have a few of the big belgian bottles from Duvel and Unibroue. Any way of using them for my belgians without a corker? I looked and couldn't find anything relevant on here. Thanks. Cheers

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2012, 08:51 PM   #2
carlisle_bob
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts

Hi

If they are like the ones I have, you either need a corker or an imitation corker (= home made equivalent).

Bob

Old 07-17-2012, 08:54 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2749 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Actually it depends on exactly what type of lip they have. If you have one of those red hand cappers, you CAN flip the metal plates over to the wider side, and buy a bell at your lhbs, along with larger cap made to fit some bottles that belgian beers come in. The ones that are like champagne bottles. I'm leaving work now, I'll try to put something together when I get to my place to show you.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-17-2012, 08:59 PM   #4
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 680 Times on 504 Posts
Likes Given: 266

yup, you need a corker. the lips on those bottles aren't made to accept caps/crowns. it's corks or nuthin'.

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend, wet-hopped harvest ale x 2, second runnings dark ale with vanilla
Fermenting: (nothing active)
Aging: imperial chocolate stout, sour cherry mead, oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Old 07-17-2012, 11:14 PM   #5
Revvy

Recipes 

Ok I'm back. Half of the belgian beers I get are bottled in 29mm Champagne bottles. They don't have the rounded lip of the othe Belgian cork and cage bottles.

You can bottle these with your red emily capper, by pulling out and flipping the metal plates, and buying a 29mm capping bell.

And these caps from Norther Brewer.

If it's this style,

you need corks and cages....You can however use a portugese corker to do it. We have a thread here.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-18-2012, 12:37 AM   #6
brian4508
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

I have done this. Plastic corks for wine bottles with the wire caps...

image-611360532.jpg  

Old 07-18-2012, 12:44 AM   #7
Revvy

Recipes 

Brian, what type of plastic corks? I tried those rounded Belgian bottles with plastic champagne corks (the white ones) and they didn't really work with them.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:12 AM   #8
brian4508
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

I'm not sure the name. They have a 'spiral' hold on tab that you have to take off first. They work on most Belgian bottles but I have found a few that didn't carbonate completely

Old 07-18-2012, 05:36 PM   #9
LouBrew13
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts

Thanks guys. I wish I had thought of it earlier. My father makes wine and has a corker. Nice floor standing one. But he just recently retired to Florida. Yes Revvy they are the rounded topped bottles.

Quick Reply