New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Beers not carbed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2011, 12:00 PM   #1
RandalG
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Beers not carbed

I just got a two keg kegerator. The first keg carbed up good in a week. I added a second keg a week ago and it’s barely carbed after a week. Am I doing something wrong? The temp is 40 degrees. The first keg that’s just about gone is carbed good still. I’m trying to get second keg ready for this weekend as we’re having people over.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2011, 12:16 PM   #2
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 376 Times on 266 Posts
Likes Given: 250

I assume you have two different gas lines coming from a manifold or what not? Are you sure that the valve is open on the gas line going to the second keg? Have you looked at the gauge on the regulator? What is it reading? Perhaps you need to up the pressure? I brew ales and keep my pressure between 8-10 psi. If the valve on the gas line is open and there is pressure comming from the tank.....beer should be carbing. Unless you have a leak somewhere on the second keg.....in which case you won't have gas for long.

Hope this helps you track the problem

Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:18 AM   #3
RandalG
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

When I got home from work I pulled out the kegs and saw that I only had the valve from the manifold partially open to that keg so hopefully that was the problem. I could have sworn I opened it all the way.
However when I pulled the disconnect off to check if I had it seated properly I noticed there was gas hissing out the top of the ball lock like it was stuck open. There was pressure in the keg and it seemed to seal when I put the disconnect back on but do you think it's possible that the gas is leaking out even with the disconnect on.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:43 AM   #4
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 376 Times on 266 Posts
Likes Given: 250

It's possible.....if the the o-ring is bad for example. Dont' forget to use a little keg lube on the o-rings and posts once in a while too. If it is leaking while connected you might be able to hear it if you get your ear close enough. Then again maybe not. One way to find out for sure would be to shut off the valve to the already carbed keg. Leave the valve open for the second keg and then shut off the tank. Wait a few hours and go back and check the gauge. The guage should still read pretty close to where it was when you shut off the tank. If it has dropped substantially, you probably have a leak.

If you rule out a leak....it must be the partially closed valve that was causing your problem.

Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

Quick Reply