Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Beer went from 'great' in ferm, to 'crappy' in keg

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2012, 07:25 PM   #11
JerseyJoe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccullpl View Post

I wish I could describe the taste better. It doesn't really fit any of the 'off-flavors' that are usually discussed, and I don't think it's 'extract twang'. Oh well, might just pull it out of the kegerator, and let it sit for a while.
I have had the very same problem. Let me help you with the description: Think of sucking on a teabag, or chewing on grape skins. This is not bitterness like a IPA or APA hoppy bitterness measured in IBU's. Its mouth-puckering sensation felt on the sides of the tongue. Giving you a almost dry mouth sensation. Hop bitterness is felt mostly on the back of the tongue.

I had the LHBS taste my beer and was told it could be:
1)over crushing your grain, 2)over sparging 3)sparging with boiling-hot or highly alkaline water, 4)bacterial infection, 5)Oxidation.

Because (like you) the beer tasted good up an until kegging. It could only be oxidation or a bacterial infection. I now rack via an auto-siphon to a Co2 purged keg. The tube from the auto-siphon sits so it doesnt splash. All kegs received sanitary enemas: warm oxy clean, warm PBW, Warm rinse, Star San, new gaskets, got a new dip tube brush, and replaced all liquid side hoses. The beer is good again.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2012, 07:32 PM   #12
mccullpl
Recipes 

JerseyJoe,

Yea, that just leaves bacterial infection (I'm still hoping carbonic acid, but not too confident). There was no splashing, and I purged the keg of air after I sealed it, so I think I can rule out oxidation.

I think your description is pretty accurate.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:28 PM   #13
JerseyJoe
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Glad to help. It took me way to long to narrow it down. 4 batches x 5 gallons. I never thought I could get an infection in my brewery as I am fastidious about cleaning and sanitation. I now brush out the dip tubes on my kegs. I thought PBW and Starsan would clean them up. http://www.austinhomebrew.com/produc...roducts_id=915

Old 06-11-2012, 09:39 PM   #14
mccullpl
Recipes 

JerseyJoe, other than brushing the dip tubes, did you do anything special to get rid of the infection? ...out just pbw and star san?

Old 06-11-2012, 10:29 PM   #15
JerseyJoe
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

All kegs got new gaskets, replaced all liquid side hoses, even new Poppits. Then warm bath in oxy clean, warm PBW, Warm water rinse, then Star San. Dont forget to replace the auto siphon. Maybe you don't need to go that far. 4 batches of tea bag beer was enough for me. Once bitten twice shy..

Old 06-11-2012, 11:41 PM   #16
phoenixs4r
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 38

We force carbonate at 30 psi for a couple days, then knock it down to whatever we plan to serve it at after that. While sneaking samples while carbing, as well a day or two after, the beer always has a weird flavor that I can't describe. Goes away once the beer is fully carbed at serving pressure a day or two later. I've always figured it was the co2.

No clue though.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:52 PM   #17
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 296 Posts
Likes Given: 321

It just takes time. Sometimes I'm not all the way happy with a keg until it's been in the fridge for 3 or 4 weeks. Even once it's fully carbed, it tastes better the longer it cold conditions. And FYI, it always tastes great out of the fermenter. Warm and flat isn't bad at all. Cold and flat on the other hand tastes like crap. And I seriously doubt that infection casused the off flavor. Even if you infected intentionally, a couple days wouldn't be near enough time to develop off flavors, especially in the fridge. Bugs just can't grow that fast at cold temperatures.

Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:14 AM   #18
mccullpl
Recipes 

BBL_Brewer, I like your answer the best, lol! I think I'll let it set another few weeks and see what happens...

Old 06-12-2012, 03:30 AM   #19
JerseyJoe
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBL_Brewer View Post
It just takes time. Sometimes I'm not all the way happy with a keg until it's been in the fridge for 3 or 4 weeks. Even once it's fully carbed, it tastes better the longer it cold conditions. And FYI, it always tastes great out of the fermenter. Warm and flat isn't bad at all. Cold and flat on the other hand tastes like crap. And I seriously doubt that infection casused the off flavor. Even if you infected intentionally, a couple days wouldn't be near enough time to develop off flavors, especially in the fridge. Bugs just can't grow that fast at cold temperatures.
I would agree with BBL, you should give yeast and aging a chance to clean up the issue. I did give my beers a lot of time (months even) to come around, but alas they didnt. Wanted to give you my two cents Good luck

Old 06-12-2012, 04:03 AM   #20
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 296 Posts
Likes Given: 321

One other thing. You mentioned that the keg had syrup residue in it. Did you replace the o-rings? The rubber o-rings will retain that soda smell even after you clean it up good. This can contribute off flavors as well.

Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

Quick Reply