Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Beer went from 'great' in ferm, to 'crappy' in keg

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2012, 05:27 PM   #1
mccullpl
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Beer went from 'great' in ferm, to 'crappy' in keg

I brewed NB's Extra Pale Ale kit about 4 1/2 weeks ago. Left it in primary for 3 weeks, cold crashed for 2 days and kegged it. I used my autosiphon that I had run a couple gallons of Star San through (and it was only the 2nd time I've used it). Tasted a bit from the primary. Tasted great!, just flat. Set the regulator to 30psi for 24 hours. Dropped to 12psi, waited about 24 hours, and poured one. wasn't over-carbed, but didn't taste anything like it did before kegging. It has a bitter off flavor. It's drinkable, but not good. What could have happened in 2 days?

As far as the keg, it was from Cornykeg.com. It had been setting for 7 or 8 weeks under pressure, with a little of what ever they cleaned the keg with, still in it. I noticed some dark stuff in the bottom of the keg. I assume it was soda residue that had settled out of the cleaning solution, and redeposited itself. I dumped the remaining liquid, and wiped out the residue with a paper towel.

Next, I put some properly diluted BLC in the keg, and shook it around really well, pressurized the keg, and pushed it out the tap. Then I added about a gallon of water, rinsed it out good, and pushed through the tap. I then added a couple gallons of Star San, and sanitized the keg, once again pressurizing with CO2, and running it through the tap. It seems like that would have been sufficient to clean it, so I'm not sure what happened.

It seems like if it tasted great flat in the primary, just carbing it would completely ruin the flavor...suggestions, anyone?

Thanks,
Pat

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2012, 05:34 PM   #2
Double_D
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 76

It looks like you did everything right. Co2 increases the perception of bitterness on the palate. You just need to let it age and come together under pressure for a couple weeks. It's what most people refer to as green beer still at this point.

Old 06-11-2012, 05:40 PM   #3
mccullpl
Recipes 

Double D, That's what I'm hoping. Since it's been a week, and the flavor hasn't changed, I'm just getting worried it won't get better. If this is typical, how do people quick carb and drink their beer within hours of kegging it?

Old 06-11-2012, 06:23 PM   #4
Double_D
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Depends on the style and recipe. My guess is you're just experiencing the "extract twang" that so many people talk about. It's also quite amazing what a person is willing to accept if they're in a hurry.

I wouldn't say it's necessarily typical, but not uncommon. Now that I've talked circles around it with out answering the question, is it possible you didn't rinse out the starsan? I only ask because I've seen some pretty crazy threads.

Old 06-11-2012, 06:31 PM   #5
BrewThruYou
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccullpl View Post
If this is typical, how do people quick carb and drink their beer within hours of kegging it?
Within hours? I don't think that's even possible without a stone....even then, I'm not sure it's possible. Hell, I don't think you can even chill a full keg of beer within a couple hours (could be wrong).

I usually see the 2 week set it and forget it crowd or the several day burst, bleed, then serving pressure crowd.

Old 06-11-2012, 06:37 PM   #6
mccullpl
Recipes 

Nope, didn't rinse the Star San, but I thought that was the point of the 'no-rinse' sanitizer? Not disagreeing with you, as I've seen a lot of threads too...
Unfortunately, the taste reminds me of my first 2 failed batches about 13 years ago...which is why I haven't brewed for 13 years, lol.

I wish I could describe the taste better. It doesn't really fit any of the 'off-flavors' that are usually discussed, and I don't think it's 'extract twang'. Oh well, might just pull it out of the kegerator, and let it sit for a while.

Old 06-11-2012, 06:38 PM   #7
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Quote:
Double D, That's what I'm hoping. Since it's been a week, and the flavor hasn't changed, I'm just getting worried it won't get better. If this is typical, how do people quick carb and drink their beer within hours of kegging it?
If you chill the beer, then carbonate at serving pressure by shaking, the change in flavor is less noticeable. This requires a very clear beer when you rack it.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 06-11-2012, 06:44 PM   #8
beergynt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double_D View Post
...is it possible you didn't rinse out the starsan? I only ask because I've seen some pretty crazy threads.
It's not necessary to rinse Starsan, hence, this...

Old 06-11-2012, 07:00 PM   #9
mccullpl
Recipes 

BrewThruYou, I see lots of threads about people quick force-carbing their beers (mostly cranking up the psi and shaking the crap out of it for several minutes), and proclaiming it to be awesome. My thoughts were, if I kicked it up to a higher psi for 24 hrs (no rolling or shaking), it wouldn't over-carbonate, and might be ready to drink in 4 or 5 days.

I guess the question I'm really looking for an answer to is, did my beer get infected in 2 days by something in the keg?

Old 06-11-2012, 07:05 PM   #10
BrewThruYou
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
I guess the question I'm really looking for an answer to is, did my beer get infected in 2 days by something in the keg?
There's always the possibility that it's infected, but I seriously doubt it since it's only been in the keg for 2 days. I'm guessing it's carbonic acid bite and should go away in the next few days.

I found this on another forum: "When you force carb quickly, you create a bunch of carbonic acid right away. This will eventually neutralize and dissipate as the beer ages. With natural carbing and bottle conditioning, the carbonic acid is slowly neutralized as it is produced."

PS: I think the people that say that the beer is amazing after a quick force carb without a stone are full of it.

Quick Reply