Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Beer tastes different in different parts of bottle

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2008, 04:51 AM   #1
citizenlee
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Beer tastes different in different parts of bottle

Hey all,
I don't know if this has ever happened to anyone or if I'm making it up but I think I'm getting beer that tastes slightly different depending on whether its from the top or bottom of the bottle.

I bottled my Wiezenbier in 22oz about 2 weeks ago (after 2 weeks in primary) and I poured a glass for myself first (top of the bottle) then for a friend (bottom of the bottle). My glass tasted a little green and not as good as I remembered last week. The carbonation didn't hold too well, I didn't get much foam lingering on the side of the glass.

I tried my friend's glass and it tasted much smoother. The glass had lots of foam on the side of the glass.

Has this happened to anyone before? Did we just witnessing/taste the effects of bottle conditioning? Its really weird but it does feel like a night and day difference.

Regardless, I'll be conditioning it for another week at least before cracking too many more open!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2008, 04:52 AM   #2
BigKahuna
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Please post back in 4 more weeks and let us know what you think about your beer after it's had time to properly age and carbonate.

Old 10-08-2008, 11:54 AM   #3
schneemann
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenlee View Post
I bottled my Wiezenbier in 22oz about 2 weeks ago (after 2 weeks in primary)
That beer needs more time to condition. I 'try' my beers at 2 weeks, but there's no expectation that it will taste like the finished product - because it won't.
Drinkin - Bombsight Oatmeal Stout, 57 Minute IPA

Zazzle Crap | BombSight Brewery at CafePress | Brewstand Build | Schmidling MaltMill Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBHoss View Post
I, Hoss, hereby profess that Master shneemann holds all the answers and is right, even when wrong, and that I humble myself before his vastly superior intellect. :mug:

Quick Reply