New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Beer pours fast from the tap...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2012, 02:24 AM   #1
Robin0782
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Beer pours fast from the tap...

Alright, so whenever I tap out a glass of my delicious homebrew, the beer seems to pour very quickly and it looks like there is something obstructing the flow that it has to travel around, like a bubble of air. If I close the tap, and then start pouring again, the bubble comes out and the beer pours normally.

Any thoughts on this at all? I hope I explained it well enough and don't sound like an idiot. Pressure is at 7 PSI right now. It's not overcarbed or anything, quite soft actually. I did pump in CO2 at 25 PSI and rolled it around for about 3 minutes when I first kegged the beer, then let it sit for about 4 or 5 days at 8 PSI before tapping. Not sure if that's even pertinent, I don't see how it would be. It's not a particularly huge deal, but slightly annoying since it causes excessive foam if I don't close and reopen the tap... Where the heck is this air bubble coming from?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2012, 02:32 AM   #2
bullinachinashop
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 31

How long is your hose and what is the ID

That doesn't sound right!

Old 02-12-2012, 02:34 AM   #3
jester5120
The Vanilla Gorilla
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 15

not to sound like a jerk but did you look in the faucet real good to see if there was anything that could possibly obstruct it. just wondering if maybe a piece of the faucet broke off and is blocking the flow when you first start your pour

Kegged Vicious Hug DIPA, Chocolate Cream Stout

Old 02-12-2012, 02:49 AM   #4
Robin0782
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The hose is 5 feet. It's Bevlex 200 by Kuriyama [NSF-51]. I took apart the faucet tonight, cleaned it and put it back together, so I don't think anything is broken on it...

Old 02-12-2012, 03:08 AM   #5
beninan
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

I have that happen with my faucets from time to time, both with the cheaper style faucets and Perlicks. It's just an air pocket, but sometimes it does tend to cause some excessive splashing. When I notice it, I do the exact thing you said you do; pump the handle off and on again. That seems to get rid of the air pocket.

It's the same thing that happens with the faucet in your kitchen sink (or bathroom, or whatever), if you have ever paid attention to it. Sometimes they will have an air bubble right at the tip of the faucet, and all the water is splashing around it. All that's needed is a little touch on the air bubble (or some other disturbance, like turning the flow off and on again) and the water starts flowing fine.

"Stop giving me credit for those stupid quotes! For that last time it wasn't me! STFU NOOB!" <-- Benjamin Franklin

Quick Reply