*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Beer with most easily removed labels

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2012, 05:31 PM   #1
dcbw
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Default Beer with most easily removed labels

So, you're not ready to keg yet? Still rocking brown glass? You know you're gonna drink the beer anyway; so it might as well be good beer and the labels might as well magically disolve right before your eyes. So what do you get? Here's what I've found with recent brands...

TLDR; buy Southern Tier and Bells. Soak in very hot water.

* Souther Tier: BUY IT... the beer F-ing rocks, and *both* their 22s and 12s use a very water friendly adhesive. The 22s have plastic labels that peel off easily leaving a cob-webby adhesive that you can easily remove with your fingers. The 12oz bottles have paper labels, but don't bother peeling them off. Soak in very hot water for about 5 or 10 minutes and the labels almost fall off.

* Bells: beer is great, and the labels peel off easily in hot water. They leave lines of adhesive on the bottle, but this can be scraped off easily with fingernails or a knife. After scraping, return to hot water to soak; remove and rescrape until most of it comes off. Then lightly scrub with hot soapy water to remove anything that's left.

* Rush River (WI): labels literally fall off after 10 minutes in hot water. Beer is pretty good too.

* Steel Toe Brewing (MN): plastic labels like Souther Tier's, come off fairly easily in very hot water, but may require cleanup with Acetone. But hey, they're 22s so you don't have to clean as many!

* Ninkasi: beer is excellent; paper labels can be scraped off with a kitchen knife after 15 minutes in hot water. You'll do a bunch of scraping to get the paper off but paper doesn't have feelings so don't worry about it. Return to hot water to loosen the remaining adhesive, then use your fingernails to scrape it off, and finally lightly scrub with hot soapy water.

* Widmer: good beer, labels like Ninkasi.

* Deschutes: great beer, labels like Ninkas and Widmer

* Southern Oregon Brewing: plastic labels that peel off easily and use water-friendly adhesive.

* New Belgium: labels come off easily in very hot water; scrub lightly to remove remaining adhesive and clean with hot soapy water.

While Summit (MN) makes good beer, their bottles are a complete waste of time to delabel. Don't bother trying.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2012, 05:34 PM   #2
Wobbegong
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Dogfish Head and Sierra Nevada labels fall right off in an oxyclean soak.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:38 PM   #3
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 752 Times on 531 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Expensive to acquire, but Duvel labels fall off in seconds with no residue.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:16 PM   #4
tom_gamer
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Never had a label that didn't come off easily when soaked in oxyclean. So any beer!

Old 03-16-2012, 06:18 PM   #5
Wobbegong
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_gamer View Post
Never had a label that didn't come off easily when soaked in oxyclean. So any beer!
I've had a few brands that leave a glue like residue after long soaks. Cant recall which brands of beer. Some do come off cleaner and quicker than others.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:26 PM   #6
Nytelyte
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbegong View Post
I've had a few brands that leave a glue like residue after long soaks. Cant recall which brands of beer. Some do come off cleaner and quicker than others.
And almost anything with a foil label is an utter PITA to get off. I just toss them.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:32 PM   #7
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 752 Times on 531 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Yes - Old Rasputin is by far the biggest PITA Ive found as far as getting the labels off. Somehow, though, other North Coast beers aren't so bad.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:53 PM   #8
countrygringo
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Ithaca labels come off easily- someone gave me some Amstel Light bottles that i threw away- nightmare! Also dead on with the Southern Tier- great beer and easy labels to remove.

Bottled: Smoked Porter, Jalapeno Cream Ale
Kegged: Red Ale, Wit Black

Old 03-16-2012, 06:53 PM   #9
spokaniac
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Almost all of them come off after an oxyclean soak and a little scrubbing with some dish soap and steel wool.

Primary: MT
Secondary: MT
Bottled and disappearing: Pale Ale/BM clone/Dbl Choc stout
Kegged: BM clone/double chocolate stout
On Deck: Hefe

Old 03-16-2012, 07:57 PM   #10
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2169 Times on 1550 Posts
Likes Given: 1197

I never use Shorts. Terrible glue they use.

Bells works great. Hot soak and and quick rub with a green scrubby.

I also love Guinness bottles. No soaking. Just run a sharp knife down the side and slit the plastic label and peel off. Yank the "widget" with needle nose pliers and rinse out. Nice shape too. Not for competitions, but otherwise my favorite.

I called the local bar to see if they would save their Guinness bottles this weekend. I bet there will be a SHT TON of those things left over after this weekend!

Quick Reply