The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Beer line tests & solution to the "plastic" taste

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2008, 02:50 AM   #31
McKBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Interesting, maybe I'll have to try that. I always pour out 1-2 oz every time I pull the tap, so that might be why I don't see much of an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
Let it sit unpoured for more than an hour for a change!

No, seriously, after letting it sit overnight, pour only a 2oz taster, then pour off another few ounces into a pint glass, then pour another 2oz taster. Do an A/B blind taste test. The last 2oz pour will taste much better than the first.

Make Beer, Not War.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2008, 04:02 AM   #32
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 2698 Posts
Likes Given: 111

If not because of the off flavor, why do you pour off the first 1-2 ounces? Temp? Jus curious. Putting final (for now) touches on keezer and putting a keg of apfelwein in tomorrow for New Years. I've drank two kegs (mild and Scottish 60) from it but with just a collar and picnick tap. NowI have the tap box all set I'll post pics after the holidays in the kegerator forum. Been waiting a long time to do that!!

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 01-06-2009, 02:13 AM   #33
Spine
Recipes 

Hmm. Glad I came across this thread, as I recently (2-3 weeks ago) got a shipment of some 3/16" tubing from morebeer and replaced the line on two of my three taps and I can definately taste a plastic flavour in the first few ounces. Even worse is that on my lightly hopped lager the chemical smell is really overpowering. It has no name or label on it and I am now wondering if they really got a "bad batch" or if all of the stuff is bad. Does anyone else use the morebeer 3/16 line and have taste/smell issues?

The unchanged tap has the arrow brand of tubing and I can not notice any off flavours from it and I have even tried swapping the kegs around. I can without a doubt say that the morebeer tubing I just bought is giving severe off flavours and smells to my beer compared to my existing line (arrow brand)

Old 01-06-2009, 06:49 PM   #34
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 2698 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Well I am getting off flavors from my keg of apfelwein if I don't pour off the first few ounces. I never noticed it in the 2 kegs of beer I went through before adding the tap box (picnick taps that stayed inside the fridge) I'm wondering if it is just from the line heating up inside the box. I'm on my way out to the garage to start messing with a PC fan I found laying around. Going to push air from the bottom of the fridge up to the box around the lines. Hopefully this fixes everything. Once cold, the apfelwein tastes fine.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 01-08-2009, 11:38 PM   #35
Spine
Recipes 

Update: I e-mailed morebeer a couple nights ago and let them know I was getting some severe chemical smells and tastes from my beer line that I just got from them and this is what they had to say "I am very sorry for the inconvenience. We did get a recent run of tubing that was defective. We have been assured by the supplier that the tubing is not dangerous, it's just causing whatever goes through it to taste bad. " I am currently in the process of tracking down a supplier for the line I am using on the rest of my taps. It's made by ARROW hose and its TYPE 14 PVC with NSF-51 stamped right on it. The morebeer stuff doesn't have anything written on the tubing. I will report back with my findings.

Old 01-09-2009, 02:53 PM   #36
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 187 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spine View Post
Update: I e-mailed morebeer a couple nights ago and let them know I was getting some severe chemical smells and tastes from my beer line that I just got from them and this is what they had to say "I am very sorry for the inconvenience. We did get a recent run of tubing that was defective. We have been assured by the supplier that the tubing is not dangerous, it's just causing whatever goes through it to taste bad. "
I started this thread so see my first post for my Arrow vs B3 no-marking tubing findings.

They email they sent you is word for word the same email they sent me when I complained about their tubing a year and a half ago. Right down to the "we have been assured by the supplier that the tubing is not dangerous".

I'm tempted to call bull-sh** on this.

I'm starting to think that they just have some tubing they buy really cheap and simply refund those who complain (maybe 10%?).

Weird since B3 is a good known reputable company but this tubing issue is odd.

Kal

Old 01-10-2009, 02:02 PM   #37
Spine
Recipes 

Just heard back from morebeer - They are sending me some replacement beer line. It is apparently from a different batch but I have my doubts.

Old 01-10-2009, 02:27 PM   #38
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 187 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Yes, please let us know how it works out. I just had them refund me for my line and bought stuff elsewhere.

If you want the Arrow stuff since you're in Ontario call up Simgo.com. You have to call to order (can't order online but you can look up stuff online). Horrible website so you need to know what you want. Their prices are incredibly low. If you're in Canada always look there first and nobody will beat their prices.

Kal

Old 01-10-2009, 08:12 PM   #39
Spine
Recipes 

Hi Kal,

Too bad I didn't read your message before I went shopping today.. Just bought 40' of the Arrow 14 3/16" line for about $0.49 / foot at brewtime in hamilton. Oh well, at least I wont have stuff that smells and tastes like the morebeer stuff, and for me that is worth the extra price. Also I didn't have to pay shipping for the brewtime stuff as well.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:14 PM   #40
Diablotastic
Recipes 

So I got in the PET barrier Bev-Seal tubing 1/4" Id stuff in from Better Bottle and I've kegged my 1st batch.

I'm not picking up any plastic taint whatsoever

Although I'm having to really fiddle with the system to get it to balance. Being my 1st time I'm sure there's some learning curves but I'm currently @ 12-14 PSI (have played with it a bit) with 15+ feet of tubing and I'm getting a pretty foamy result with what I thought was a minimal amount of carbination...little over a week in the fridge.

I'm assuming it's my line length becasue since the Foam is present but the desired amounts of bubbles are not.

I wonder if it's partly in fact that i have coiled my serving lin up fairly compact like with bread ties and just reach in and pull oft he picnic tap? This stuff is pretty stiff so it seems like the best way to control the serpent

PRIMARY:Empty
SECONDARY:Empty
KEGGED:Orange Kolsch (BM's)
KEGGED:House Rye Pale Ale
ON DECK:Centennial Blonde

Quick Reply