Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Beer line tests & solution to the "plastic" taste

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2011, 12:14 AM   #181
JRems
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I recently replaced some bev flex 3/16 line and with my seltzer it has a small amount of taste. The last hose I got was from chicompany and says foxx equiptment on it. It does not impart any flavor. Anyone else using the foxx line? It is also more flexible when cold.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2011, 01:19 AM   #182
rabeb25
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Can someone help me with balancing my new system?

I scraped the 35ft of trunk line, and glycol in favor of a cheap CL freezer and short runs.

System setup:

CO2:
3/16" shanks
1/4" bevseal ultra 235 (15ft)
3/16 keg posts (if it matters)
From keg to shank about a 1' rise

Nitro setup:
3/16" shank

I have independent regulators for each keg, and I am going to try to carb at proper levels to style.

Thanks!!!!
Bryan

Old 02-03-2011, 07:18 PM   #183
lmnop
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExHempKnight View Post
I'm waiting for some Tygon Silver tubing to come in the mail... Will post a review once I get it and get around to putting it in the keezer.
It's been 3 weeks, any update on this?

Old 02-04-2011, 12:55 PM   #184
spotter
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabeb25 View Post
CO2:
3/16" shanks

Nitro setup:
3/16" shank
To balance the CO2 with that setup you'd need around 25' at 12PSI. Add more line, or check out the sticky on swizzles.

The Nitro with a stout faucet doesn't matter, the restrictor in the faucet should take care of it.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:51 PM   #185
garbs
Recipes 

Don't know about you guys, but I picked up some Tygon b-44-4X and was really disappointed. It doesn't impart any plastic flavor like the bevlex, but instead completely oxidizes any beer that sits in the line for a while (1-2 days).

For the price of this line, I actually think I'm worse off than before.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:22 AM   #186
Ricand
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbs View Post
Don't know about you guys, but I picked up some Tygon b-44-4X and was really disappointed. It doesn't impart any plastic flavor like the bevlex, but instead completely oxidizes any beer that sits in the line for a while (1-2 days).

For the price of this line, I actually think I'm worse off than before.
I thought it was just me. You are right, the beer tastes like butt in a couple days sitting in 11ft of line. I waste a ton of beer, since when we have guests coming over I take a pitcher and dump the beer in the lines out of the 10 taps I have here. Otherwise, I found people were taking a sampler glass of that nasty and thinking that's what I was brewing. If you pull a full pint, it's less noticeable, but still there. So you think it's the b-44-4X and not just a common problem of lines in general? If so.. does anyone want over a 100 ft of this line?

If I was too drunk to remember it, it didn't happen.

If you got a good liver.. use it! - wife

CopperCat Brewery

Old 03-22-2011, 12:32 AM   #187
garbs
Recipes 

I don't remember ever tasting this level of oxidation with the bevlex 200. It might have something to do with the fact that the tygon isn't thick walled, but I'm contemplating ripping the lines out yet again and starting over.

Old 04-04-2011, 05:44 PM   #188
robertvrabel
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

I was considering the b-44-4X tubing, but now people are reporting that its not helping and you still have to pour some out? Is this still the case? I really don't want to use this inflexible tubing... seems like its a hassle to work with, and considering i'd need 25' of it per tap (4) that it'll be hard to get me setup on it.

Anyone with experience in changing to this, was it hard to do? Seems like since its not bendable, i'd have a hard time getting it to my taps. I can't believe after reading 19 pages of this thread i'm still confused what to replace! I don't mind dishing out $ for it, i just don't want to have to replace them again... its driving me nuts that there isn't a perfect solution to this!

Side note:
For those not noticing the flavor difference, I never did until I hooked up my german pilsner to it. The first 2-4oz almost made me gag, and the next 12oz pour was perfect. It goes bad fast too, within atleast 12 hours (i'm betting its even sooner i'd need to test). I'm guessing the other beers I did this too were just so flavorful that it didn't impact it as much. With a light lager, its extremely noticeable.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:27 AM   #189
RichBenn
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRems View Post
I recently replaced some bev flex 3/16 line and with my seltzer it has a small amount of taste. The last hose I got was from chicompany and says foxx equiptment on it. It does not impart any flavor. Anyone else using the foxx line? It is also more flexible when cold.
I'm using it, no flavor. But with big IPAs, I'm not certain I could taste it anyway.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:46 AM   #190
JRems
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 50 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBenn View Post
I'm using it, no flavor. But with big IPAs, I'm not certain I could taste it anyway.

I switched back to the foxx brand line. The bev lex just tasted too plasticy. Especially with seltzer it was very noticeable.

Quick Reply