Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Beer line taste

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-29-2008, 11:24 PM   #1
Paulinuke
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Beer line taste

I remeber reading a thread about the off taste that beer line can sometimes impart in your beer. I have done quite a bit of searching and can't find that thread. The problem I am having isn't with my beer line but with my rootbeer line. The line is about 25 feet of 3/16 from Austin homebrew. I have cleaned it with everything, PBW, BLC, Oxyclean and sanitized with Starsan. I just can"t get rid of the rubber/plastic taste. I called Austin Homebrew about it and they said they hadn't heard any other complaints from anyone so it must be something I am doing wrong(I know this is not true). I need help. Paul

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2008, 03:09 AM   #2
Austinhomebrew
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 90

We seriously do not receive complaints about the beer line hose. It is an expensive line of hose from Foxx Equipment that specializes in beverage dispensing. The only variable I can think of is that it is rootbeer. Are you trying to use the hose for something other than rootbeer after you used it for rootbeer?

Rootbeer leaves a taste in hose that will not go away. I think it is the wintergreen. Same thing when you buy a used Barq's rootbeer corny keg. All of the orings need to be replaced.

Old 03-01-2008, 11:18 AM   #3
Paulinuke
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The keg is being used for rootbeer. It is a rebuilt keg with all new o-rings. I previously used a much shorter line and would turn off the CO2 and vent the pressure before pouring. Using this method I didn't get any off flavors. I bought the longer line so that I could leave the pressure up all the time. I am at a loss as to what to do. Paul

Quick Reply