Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Beer line/manifold question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2009, 08:58 PM   #1
ISLAGI
1 beer short of a sixer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Beer line/manifold question

I picked up a 3-way manifold today, but didn't notice until I got home that the barbs on the manifold are probably 1/4" od and the red gas line that I have is 3/8" id. Am I going to be able to clam down tight enough with my Oetiker clams on the hose to get a good seal on the barb, or should I put a wrap or two of teflon tape around the barb, before I put the line on it? The only other line that the LHBS has is clear, thinner lines for party taps, but it would seat snugly on the barbs.

On a semi-related note, the one keg is now venting gas through the release valve, even when the pull ring is all the way down. Can I just keg lube the schyte out of the release poppet, or do I need to order a relacement?

Thanks,

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2009, 05:33 PM   #2
doggage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

IIRC, I've used 3/8 ID as line with 1/4 barbs, but with the gas as long as you can get the gas to the keg with no leaks it's not a big problem. Whatever you have to do to make it work. I have buddies who just go to the hardware store and get whatever hose will work. It's worked fine for them.

I'm assuming you've checked this, but if the ring that they have on the release pressure valve is too large or twisted the wrong way, it can allow pressure out. Play around with that ring a little and it might help. Also, you might put some teflon tape around the plastic threads on the release valve.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply