Beer Line from HomeDepot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hboiardt

Reaction score
I need to use longer lines for my Kegerator, and found this product at HomeDepot: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Watts-5-...lear-PVC-Tubing-SVFD20/100181788#.UfbVM43VAa8

The description says that:

The smooth bore of the Watts 5/16 in. OD x 3/16 in. ID x 20 ft. Clear PVC Tubing reduces sediment buildup and maximizes the flow of chemicals, gases and liquids. Resistant to acids, alkalis and many solvents, this clear-as-glass tubing makes an excellent drainage line.

• First-run FDA-approved clear vinyl is appropriate for use in food and beverage applications
  • Can be used with chemicals, gases and liquids
  • High resistance to acids, alkalis and solvents
  • Ideal for drainage lines
  • MFG Model # : SVFD20
  • MFG Part # : 42143320

All the other threads I've found through the search function never mention anything about the food safe vinyl lines from HomeDepot, so I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this particular product?

Thanks!

Henric

Cool... I was just saying it because I bought vinyl hose from HD for transferring and it was not lead free, so I ended up buying some tygon from the LBHS... Learned my lesson... ;)

Even says lead free on the box!

ForumRunner_20130729_181036.jpg

Found it takes quite some time to get that PVC taste/smell out of your beer though, even running BLC through it then hot water, they take forever to taste neutral.

The ice-cube make line stuff, the semi opaque stiff silicon tubing, that's amazing for beer lines. Because it's less than 3/16th in size. The only pisser is getting it actually ON the disconnects, it's a nightmare. But works super good, 20 feet of that and it's a sloooooooow pour!

All I can say is its not my experience with this product. Thanks for the links though!

I'm going to let the tubing soak in oxyclean overnight and put it in on Wednesday...I'll let you all know if I get any off flavors

I tend to spend the extra dollar. I'm affected greatly by buyer's remorse, so I tend to only buy the best I can find. In the case of tubing, it can't be that much more money.

I agree, however I'd rather spend $4 dollars to diagnose the problem before I spend more money on better lines that I might not need...

I bought the 10 foot version of this tubing and it works great. No off flavors in my apfelwein or APA. I bought two of the 10 foot lengths and replaced the 3 foot line that came with my keg kit.

Installed the line last night, and the beer was pouring awesome. Woke up this morning and there was a puddle of beer in the kegerator...the clamp I used on the shank didnt tighten down enough...has anyone ever used sharkbite clamps? http://www.homedepot.com/p/SharkBite-3-8-in-Pex-SS-Clamp-10-Pack-UC952A/202032890#.Ufrfz42yBhw (or know if those would even fit?) Or should I just stick to the worm clamps and use a socket to get it good and tight?

That's basically an Oetiker. I don't like them because they are hard to remove. I prefer the worm clamps.

Bobby_M sells some really nice ones. The best solution IMO.

clamp.png

http://brewhardware.com/accessories/145-clamp

Well I put the new worm clamp on last night, and didn't have any leakage this morning...thanks for all the input!

Back