Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Beer leaking from liquid out disconnect

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2011, 01:31 PM   #1
cincybrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default Beer leaking from liquid out disconnect

Now I'm having another issue with my keg. I checked the fridge last night and I had a little puddle of beer at the bottom of the fridge and the side of my keg was all sticky. I took off the disconnect and it appeared to be foaming out out the post. I'm guessing my poppet might not be seated correctly but thought I'd ask everyone else if they have had this problem before I once again take apart the post to try to fix it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2011, 01:34 PM   #2
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 13

It's usually the poppet sticking because of keg lube, hair, hop particles, or something else. I suggest depressurizing the keg, taking off the post, removing the poppet, and boiling both in some water in the microwave (making sure they are covered, or you'll get fireworks).

Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Dark Mild

Old 06-17-2011, 05:52 PM   #3
cincybrewer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

What is the point of boiling in water? Does that just remove all the gunk?

Old 06-17-2011, 06:29 PM   #4
wolfman_48442
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yeah, I've never boiled the parts, I just take everything apart and put it in hot tap water with a bit of oxiclean and let everything soak for a few minutes. Rinse, and you're good to go.
Sanitize to satisfy your level of paranoia

Old 06-17-2011, 06:33 PM   #5
hamiltont
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

And don't forget to use some keg lube on the o-rings (tube & disconnect) and on the poppet. Oh, make sure the poppet is sitting straight up and not cock-eyed. Cheers!!!

If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Old 06-17-2011, 06:50 PM   #6
cincybrewer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I did all these things, which is why I'm surprised I'm having this issue.

Maybe I just need to reassemble because the poppet might not be seated correctly. It's easy with the gas in, I can just use a screwdriver and push it in and out until it seats correctly. A little more difficult with the liquid out unless I want beer all over me.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:02 PM   #7
kpr121
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincybrewer View Post
I did all these things, which is why I'm surprised I'm having this issue.

Maybe I just need to reassemble because the poppet might not be seated correctly. It's easy with the gas in, I can just use a screwdriver and push it in and out until it seats correctly. A little more difficult with the liquid out unless I want beer all over me.
If you depressurize, you shouldn't get beer splatter all over you.

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:
Up Next: ???? Suggestions?

Old 06-17-2011, 07:15 PM   #8
nostalgia
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincybrewer View Post
Yeah, poppets are notorious for not sealing properly, even when in good condition. I think it's just the fact that they're not precision devices - the little nub can roam all around the post and seal at a random spot.

As you say, a quick push with a thumbnail will usually seal it right up, and not make too much of a mess

-Joe

Old 06-17-2011, 07:30 PM   #9
cincybrewer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpr121 View Post
If you depressurize, you shouldn't get beer splatter all over you.
Yea, I know, but unfortunately my kegerator setup requires me to move around the kegs and the co2 in order to depressurize. But I guess that's what I'm going to have to do. My other beer would fill my glass with crap if I barely moved it, at least with this one it is very clear and it doesn't stir up anything when I move it.

Thanks for all the help.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:46 PM   #10
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Boiling removes gunk efficiently and near-sterilizes at the same time. I do not recommend lubing the poppet with keg lube, as this can cause them to stick.

If you can't get it to seal, it's time to replace it. Some say the universal poppet valves seal better than the keg-specific models. If you want to go for the latter, Foxx order numbers are 15E04-272 for Firestone V/VI and 15C07-105 for Cornelius Super Champion.

Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Dark Mild

Quick Reply