Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Beer last longer in a keg or bottle?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2013, 05:31 PM   #1
instinct2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default Beer last longer in a keg or bottle?

Our pale ale has missed it's prime now that was bottled in the summer. Wondering if it would have lasted longer in a keg, under CO2 pressure instead of priming sugar.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 05:32 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4941 Times on 3579 Posts
Likes Given: 995

Quote:
Originally Posted by instinct2 View Post
Our pale ale has missed it's prime now that was bottled in the summer. Wondering if it would have lasted longer in a keg, under CO2 pressure instead of priming sugar.
No.

Temperature plays a huge part in aging, though! If you can keep beer cold, it slows down the aging process a lot. Beer ages faster at warmer temperatures, so for a beer that is at peak, keeping it at cellar temperatures or lower can help preserve it a bit longer.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 01-14-2013, 07:01 AM   #3
lowtones84
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 214

Yeah, normally bottling is the way to go for aging things from what I understand. What I usually do wish pale ales and stuff that don't benefit from aging is get them in the basement when I feel like they're nearing their peak, or even right into the refrigerator. At refrigerator temps beer ages very slow in my experience.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:28 AM   #4
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 266

If you dry hopped it, then you could switch to kegging and dry hop in keg. IME, that makes the addition last longer for your enjoyment. I still use the longer carbonation method (two weeks at serving temperature and pressure) with that though. So, by the time you start pulling pints, the dry hop addition is getting really good. I also leave the hop addition (whole hops, in a nylon mesh bag) in the keg for the duration. Give it a try sometime and see for yourself.

BTW, I don't put my batches to keg until they're ready to drink. So no additional time is needed for them to become great. Going to bottle/keg is purely for carbonation at that point. Since I don't bottle carbonate anymore, that means direct into keg. If there's a spot available in the brew fridge, a keg goes in there. Otherwise, they stay in the basement until a spot opens up.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 01-14-2013, 07:54 AM   #5
dbsmith
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 24

If you put a bottle in the fridge and you had sound sanitation, it will last a really long time. I once tried a pale ale that I had brewed 1 year and 8 months prior sitting in the back of a fridge. It was glorious.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:36 PM   #6
tektonjp
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Beer last longer in a keg or bottle?

A bottle has a life expectancy of about 15 minutes around me. A keg I can stretch out to a week or two.

"Beer, well respected and rightly consumed, can be a gift of God. It is one of his mysteries, which it was his delight to conceal and the glory of kings to search out."

The Search for God and Guinness by Stephen Mansfield

chrismcdaniel3128 Likes This 
Old 01-14-2013, 02:04 PM   #7
choosybeggar
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie
If you dry hopped it, then you could switch to kegging and dry hop in keg. IME, that makes the addition last longer for your enjoyment. I still use the longer carbonation method (two weeks at serving temperature and pressure) with that though. So, by the time you start pulling pints, the dry hop addition is getting really good. I also leave the hop addition (whole hops, in a nylon mesh bag) in the keg for the duration. Give it a try sometime and see for yourself.

BTW, I don't put my batches to keg until they're ready to drink. So no additional time is needed for them to become great. Going to bottle/keg is purely for carbonation at that point. Since I don't bottle carbonate anymore, that means direct into keg. If there's a spot available in the brew fridge, a keg goes in there. Otherwise, they stay in the basement until a spot opens up.
Do you weigh down the bag?

The very thing that makes you rich, makes me pour.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:25 PM   #8
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by choosybeggar View Post
Do you weigh down the bag?
Nope, I let them go as they wish. I sanitize the bag with a dunk into Star San solution, fill with whole/leaf hops, then put into the keg. Purge the keg headspace a few times then put it into the fridge to chill and then carbonate. Two weeks later pulling pints of greatness.

BTW, I use 1oz per 3 gallon keg for this.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 01-14-2013, 03:30 PM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Beers have lasted and been drinkable for hundreds of years in bottles, if stored properly. Our own Mbowenz recently tried a beer that was brewed in 1852. There are still drinkable bottles brewed for Napoleon.

Charlie Papazian did an article in Zymurgy a few years back of sampling award winning homebrew going back to the first Great American Beer Festival, over 25 years worth of beers.

It all depends on how it was treated.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply