Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Beer in glass bottles... but no glass allowed.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2012, 11:22 PM   #1
fenix424
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Beer in glass bottles... but no glass allowed.

Ok, so I have a dilemma here. I recently picked up the hobby and had a brilliant idea... Homebrew some beer for a family picnic. Only problem is, I completely forgot the venue we are going to doesn't allow glass on premises and I already have everything bottled. I could just give the bottles away as a sort of gift at the end of the picnic, but I put work into this and would love to have people enjoy the beer at the actual picnic. Any ideas on a way to get the beer to the picnic?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2012, 11:38 PM   #2
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1714 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 1

PET soda bottles.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:09 AM   #3
Adeering
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I feel your pain and have been in that situation many many times. This is what I do... I bring the beer in a cooler and bring some solo cups, typically they dont want you drinking from the bottles. So you are usually ok with keeping the bottles in the cooler and just pouring them out into solo cups. Keep the cooler closed and put the empties back in the cooler or a dedicated trash bag off to the side.

Kegged: None :(
Bottled: None
Next Brews: Pumpkin Ale, Unknown
Slipgate Likes This 
Old 08-02-2012, 08:04 PM   #4
SpeedYellow
Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjay View Post
PET soda bottles.
+1. I need to find a source for some unused empties though.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:30 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

That's why some folks bottle part of their batch in onld soda bottles. In fact I know of one brewer who leaves the labels on them, and matches the brand to the color of the beer. That way if he's going to an event that lets you bring in your own soda, but not beer, and serves only bmc, he and his brewer buddies get to enjoy the beer they want and no one is the wiser.

Vernors bottles are great for blonde ales, stouts and porters in coke bottles, iced tea bottles are great because the often come in all manner of shades.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-02-2012, 08:45 PM   #6
edmanster
Whats Under Your Kilt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy
That's why some folks bottle part of their batch in onld soda bottles. In fact I know of one brewer who leaves the labels on them, and matches the brand to the color of the beer. That way if he's going to an event that lets you bring in your own soda, but not beer, and serves only bmc, he and his brewer buddies get to enjoy the beer they want and no one is the wiser.

Vernors bottles are great for blonde ales, stouts and porters in coke bottles, iced tea bottles are great because the often come in all manner of shades.
+1 and in addition you can get new twist on soda caps for the full effect of keeping the break off ring intact..
Father of 4 girls

Suffers from Zymocenosilicaphobia

Old 08-02-2012, 09:21 PM   #7
Slipgate
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I went to a family reunion at a park once where no beer at all was allowed. I brought some anyway. My assh0le tea-totaling in-laws came over and asked me about them so I asked if they wanted one. "No" - they were just concerned because it was "against the rules". I laughed and said I try not to follow the rules whenever possible. I told them i was keeping them on the "down-low". They walked away miffed.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:04 PM   #8
KISS Brew
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeering View Post
This is what I do... I bring the beer in a cooler and bring some solo cups, typically they dont want you drinking from the bottles.
This is my solution as well. Nobody should be drinking from the bottles in any case.

Bottled:
Hoptoberfest IPA, Oktoberfest Ale, Blonde Ale, Scottish Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Edwort's Apfelwein, Janet's Brown Ale, Irish Red Ale, Strawberry Wheat, ESB, Belgian Pale Ale

KISS Brew Homebrewing Blog

Most recent post: Beyond the Pale Ale Recipe

Old 08-02-2012, 10:17 PM   #9
davekippen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 160 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 417

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeering View Post
I feel your pain and have been in that situation many many times. This is what I do... I bring the beer in a cooler and bring some solo cups, typically they dont want you drinking from the bottles. So you are usually ok with keeping the bottles in the cooler and just pouring them out into solo cups. Keep the cooler closed and put the empties back in the cooler or a dedicated trash bag off to the side.
This. I have had glass in plenty of parks that do not allow it. They dont want hooligans walking around smashing bottles. If you discretely pour into a cup and keep the empties tucked away, you will be good to go.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:36 PM   #10
Proboscidea
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 87

... and as a seasoned homebrewing bottle-hoarder, you will already have trained your friends and family to return the bottles directly and immediately to your possession, so there's no fear of bottles wandering off in the first place.

Fermenting:
CellarCraft Sterling Collection Barbera (kit) -- first entrée into grape wines

Bottled recently:
Ginger mead (3gal), EdWort's Apfelwein (3gal)

Quick Reply