Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Beer gas set up

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2009, 01:23 AM   #1
hammer one
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Beer gas set up

I'm getting ready to hook up my stout faucet and I'm collecting parts so everything is ready to go. The plan is to carbonate my stout keg using beer gas. I've been doing alot of reading and it seems the best way to do it is to hook up a stainless steel air stone inside my keg. So the question is what micron stone would work best? A 2 micron or a 5 micron. I know co2 will pass through both but I'm not sure about nitrogen.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2009, 01:27 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

You're better off carbonating with straight CO2, then dispensing with beer gas.

Either stone will pass both gases. The molecules are around 300-400 picometers, which is about a million times smaller than the pores in the stones.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 10-10-2009, 05:29 PM   #3
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2999 Times on 2953 Posts
Likes Given: 28

The smaller the pores in the stones the smaller the bulbbles will be and the easier it will dissolve into the beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong

Old 10-10-2009, 06:32 PM   #4
hammer one

Recipes 

Why would I be better off carbing with co2? I've read tha nitrogen dose not dissolve well in beer, hence the air stone

Old 10-10-2009, 06:42 PM   #5
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 621 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 56

You aren't trying to get nitrogen to dissolve into the beer. Read this thread:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/what...inness-133649/

Old 10-10-2009, 07:10 PM   #6
chuggs
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

I've got most of the setup...I've been dispensing Guinness (not homebrewed)...with the setup. My next homebrew stout...I'm going to "nitrogenate" with beer mix.

Here's what I'm planning...

I'll put a stone on the short dip tube...as close as I can get it.

I'll fill the tank with beer...about 7/8ths the way...staying clear of the stone.

Pressurize the tank...bleed the tank a couple of time...just to clear off the head space of any oxygen. Pressurize just enough to ensure a seal.

Chill the tank

Flip the tank inverted...and slowly bring the gas pressure up to 30 psi...when the gas stops flowing...flip it upright again.

Wait 2 hrs

Vent...but leave enough pressure to remain sealed.

Flip inverted...slowly bring pressure up to 30 psi...when gas flow stops...right the tank again.

Wait 2 hrs.

Dispense through stout faucet...

Repeat the bubbling nitrogen-carbon dioxide blend through the stone...and waiting 2 hrs...as necessary to get the smooth, creamy, head...the low carbonated flavor, and cascading effect that I'm looking for. Then just leave it attached at 30 psi.

You'll find that the Stout Faucet holds a bit a liquid above the restictor plate...which drips out over time. Perfect breeding ground for mold to form. So after each use...you'll have to unscrew the spout...and rinse with clear water...let dry a bit...and replace, to prevent a mold plug from forming around the flow straightener.

If you aren't pouring Black & Tans...go with whatever. But I think the nitrogenation hassle you go through with the stone will pay dividends when you pour a black and tan. I don't have a mass spec to test the liquid...but I would imagine some, however miniscule amt. of N2 goes into solution...would certainly help keeping the density different than the lager or ale that you're pouring over.

Old 10-10-2009, 07:54 PM   #7
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Once again, YOU ARE NOT NITROGENATING THE BEER! Even with beer gas, it's the CO2 that's going into solution. Using a stone, inverting the tank, or any other "trick" just helps to speed the process of force carbonation. Nitrogen isn't even at play for a black and tan (it's simply a matter of putting the beverage with the lowest FG on top). To illustrate that point, here's a "snakebite" I just poured with apfelwein over Guinness.

Old 10-10-2009, 08:01 PM   #8
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

To get back to the original point, you are better off simply force carbonating to a low level with pure CO2 because it's faster, cheaper, and more efficient. Once you have achieved the desired level of carbonation, use beer gas to serve.

Old 10-10-2009, 10:44 PM   #9
hammer one

Recipes 

Thanks for the info Yuri I'll give it a shot your way. One more Q. When I reach the carbonation level that I want do I purge the co2 in the head space and replace it with beer gas?

Old 10-11-2009, 01:03 PM   #10
dasein668
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Remember, the primary reason for the nitrogen in beer gas is so that you can push the beer at a much higher pressure through the restrictor disc in the faucet without overcarbing the beer. The nitrogen, as has been mentioned, doesn't dissolve in the beer.

Carbing with the beer gas can be hard because most of the gas that you pump into the keg doesn't go into solution at all, but rather fills the head space preventing any more gas from entering the keg. Sure, you can keep venting the head space, but that just wastes your beer gas, which is generally more expensive than straight co2.

Kegs: Bailey's Porch House APA, Winter Wheat (Dunkelweizen), Copper Ale (alt)
On Deck: Bailey's Porch House APA, Vesper Red Rye, Robust Porter
KidIcarus Likes This 

Quick Reply