Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > beer gas question

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2013, 01:32 AM   #1
Fredderick
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 94
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default beer gas question

I recently made a stout For St Patties day and need to Keg it soon. I have a stout faucet and mixed beer gas for it. How do I go about carbonating this stout... Should I use my regular co2 then move to beer gas or carb with beer gas?

What type of pressure do I serve with my beer gas and stout faucet?

Thanks for your help!

__________________
Fredderick is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2013, 01:39 AM   #2
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JuanMoore's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The Old Pueblo
Posts: 16,122
Liked 3208 Times on 3112 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredderick View Post
I recently made a stout For St Patties day and need to Keg it soon. I have a stout faucet and mixed beer gas for it. How do I go about carbonating this stout... Should I use my regular co2 then move to beer gas or carb with beer gas?

What type of pressure do I serve with my beer gas and stout faucet?

Thanks for your help!
Carb with regular CO2, but keep it under 1.8 vol of carbonation. I'd suggest something in the neighborhood of 1.0-1.6 vol. Unlike when using CO2 to serve, the serving pressure matching the carbonation equilibrium pressure isn't nearly as critical with beergas. Instead, you'll probably want to play with it a little until you find the pressure that gives you the pour you're looking for. Should be in the neighborhood of 25-40 psi. Many people end up pretty close to 30 psi.
__________________
Keezer Soze

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash
JuanMoore is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2013, 01:50 AM   #3
Fredderick
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 94
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Thanks for the info... I will do so... Will the nitro actually dissolve into the beer?

Basically what I am asking, after I carb the beer, can I hook up to beer gas and immediately serve or does the nitro need to dissolve in the beer?

On a side topic but semi related, I use a co2 volume table to determine carb levels but I can't seem to find how long to leave the Keg hooked up to carb. Is there a scientific answer to this because all I can find is people's suggestions

Lastly, when I carb a beer at a certain volume level, when I serve at a different pressure (lower) , do I have to worry about the beer losing its carb level?

As you can tell I am just getting started with kegging.

__________________
Fredderick is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2013, 02:16 AM   #4
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JuanMoore's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The Old Pueblo
Posts: 16,122
Liked 3208 Times on 3112 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredderick View Post
Thanks for the info... I will do so... Will the nitro actually dissolve into the beer?

Basically what I am asking, after I carb the beer, can I hook up to beer gas and immediately serve or does the nitro need to dissolve in the beer?
Only tiny amounts of nitrogen will dissolve in the beer, so there's no need to wait. As soon as it's carbed you can hook up the beergas and start serving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredderick View Post
On a side topic but semi related, I use a co2 volume table to determine carb levels but I can't seem to find how long to leave the Keg hooked up to carb. Is there a scientific answer to this because all I can find is people's suggestions
There's no scientific answer, it depends on the target carb level, SG of the beer, alcohol content, temperature, etc. For lower carb levels like this 2 weeks should be enough time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredderick View Post
Lastly, when I carb a beer at a certain volume level, when I serve at a different pressure (lower) , do I have to worry about the beer losing its carb level?
When serving with 100% CO2, yes. The carbonation will change to reach equilibrium with the serving pressure. If your serving pressure is too low, not only will the beer lose carbonation over time, but CO2 coming out of solution will form pockets of gas in the beer line, which will create foamy pours.

With beer gas it's not as important. The presence of the practically insoluble nitrogen and the high pressure make the change to equilibrium so slow that it's not really noticeable. If you really want to know what the equilibrium pressure is with your beergas, you can use a calculator like the one below. The problem is that the nitro faucet may not work well at the equilibrium pressure.

http://mcdantim.mobi/easypsig.html
__________________
Keezer Soze

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash
JuanMoore is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2013, 09:25 AM   #5
Fredderick
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 94
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Thank you for the very thorough response!

__________________
Fredderick is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 05:31 AM   #6
Fredderick
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 94
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanMoore View Post

Carb with regular CO2, but keep it under 1.8 vol of carbonation. I'd suggest something in the neighborhood of 1.0-1.6 vol. Unlike when using CO2 to serve, the serving pressure matching the carbonation equilibrium pressure isn't nearly as critical with beergas. Instead, you'll probably want to play with it a little until you find the pressure that gives you the pour you're looking for. Should be in the neighborhood of 25-40 psi. Many people end up pretty close to 30 psi.
With beer gas serving pressures this high... How long should I make my beer line for the stout faucet?
__________________
Fredderick is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 05:39 AM   #7
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JuanMoore's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The Old Pueblo
Posts: 16,122
Liked 3208 Times on 3112 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredderick View Post
With beer gas serving pressures this high... How long should I make my beer line for the stout faucet?
It doesn't really matter much. I'd just make it same length you would for beer served with CO2 in case you ever want to use the line for a non-nitro keg.
__________________
Keezer Soze

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash
JuanMoore is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2013, 10:56 PM   #8
Fredderick
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 94
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanMoore View Post

It doesn't really matter much. I'd just make it same length you would for beer served with CO2 in case you ever want to use the line for a non-nitro keg.
I just hooked up my beer gas and my stout doesn't retain the head at all... Do I need to turn up the nitro pressure? Why does the head not stay... Does it have to be hooked up and dissolve into the beer?
__________________
Fredderick is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 01:53 AM   #9
Fredderick
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 94
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredderick View Post

I just hooked up my beer gas and my stout doesn't retain the head at all... Do I need to turn up the nitro pressure? Why does the head not stay... Does it have to be hooked up and dissolve into the beer?
Any suggestions?
__________________
Fredderick is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 01:42 PM   #10
Fredderick
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 94
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredderick View Post

I just hooked up my beer gas and my stout doesn't retain the head at all... Do I need to turn up the nitro pressure? Why does the head not stay... Does it have to be hooked up and dissolve into the beer?
Bump
__________________
Fredderick is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New beer question Christianb17 General Beer Discussion 11 09-22-2011 10:29 AM
Question: Beer left in Beer line ElseaBroBrewCo Bottling/Kegging 8 01-04-2011 03:23 AM
Old beer question junked89 General Beer Discussion 7 05-07-2010 04:35 PM
A question on beer style for beer judges, or folks who play them on TV Thor General Techniques 10 10-28-2009 12:17 PM
Big Beer/Small Beer Question tbone Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 14 06-08-2007 02:06 PM