Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Beer Chugging Friends

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2006, 08:05 PM   #1
Brewsmith
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts

Default Beer Chugging Friends

How fast does a 5 gal corny last with your friends? My kegerator has or had 4 kegs in it, the first two went online about two months ago and the third about a month ago. The fourth just got carbed up this week, and already the third keg is empty. I intentionally made the hefeweizen to go in it for mass consumption, but man did it go fast. The other 2, my bitter and smoked porter have really only been drank by me, although they are probably getting low by now. The fourth keg, the blonde, will probably go as fast. When the hefe went dry they immediately went for the blonde next. I'm going to have to speed up the brew schedule pretty soon.

Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2006, 08:08 PM   #2
Brewpastor
Beer, not rocket science
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts

You assume I have friends...

I remind you, I am a minister, so people don't tend to come to me looking to suck down the suds! So it is just me and my little friend Liver.

Old 09-18-2006, 08:26 PM   #3
sonvolt
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewpastor
You assume I have friends...

I remind you, I am a minister, so people don't tend to come to me looking to suck down the suds! So it is just me and my little friend Liver.
I am assuming that you are not kidding about the minister part . . .that is really interesting!! The LHBS that I used to go to enjoyed a customer who was a Catholic Priest; obviously, I was not overly surprised to see him as a homebrewer.

What denomination do you practice? I find this very interesting, because most men of faith would hesitate to enjoy such a hobby because of the public's (mis)perceptions of its nature. Another question - how public do you make your hobby in the community in which you preach/minister/etc.?

Old 09-18-2006, 08:34 PM   #4
Brewpastor
Beer, not rocket science
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts

I am a Presbyterian minister, ordained for 20 years. It is pretty well known by mtycongregation that I brew beer because I ran a large micro in town for about 10 years and was in the press now and again. I don't hide it, nor do I push it onto people. I simply try to be honest about the fact that I really love making beer. So far it has not caused me any problems. I even made a commercial beer to celebrate a meeting of the Presbyterian Church (USA)'s national General Assembly that was held in New Mexico. I still run into people who know me as the guy who made that beer. The sad thing is it was a wheat beer, and I hate wheat beers.

Old 09-18-2006, 09:02 PM   #5
dougjones31
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Corny kegs only hold 2 1/2 cases of beer. Think of it that way and you can plan better.

I brew 10% beer and keep a corny full for just those events. When Beer mongers come over, I serve them a few 10% beers. Then they don't drink too much of the other stuff.

Old 09-18-2006, 09:34 PM   #6
2nd Street Brewery

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I guess my friend liver must be getting tired of me. I go through 2 corneys a month and I'm pretty much the only one drinking. A couple of my friends like my HB but most are BMC folk.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, then to speak and remove all doubt.

Old 09-18-2006, 10:11 PM   #7
Brewsmith

Recipes 

I don't mind, part of the reason for building the kegerator in the first place was to have the friends over. It's just that a few people having 2 pints each can add up fast. I'm putting another hefeweizen on the list soon.

Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Old 09-18-2006, 10:12 PM   #8
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd Street Brewery
A couple of my friends like my HB but most are BMC folk.
That's why my bitter and smoked porter are still around. I did make the hefeweizen and the blonde more for their tastes, and it looks like I was right on!
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Old 09-19-2006, 01:12 AM   #9
sonvolt
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewpastor
I am a Presbyterian minister, ordained for 20 years. It is pretty well known by mtycongregation that I brew beer because I ran a large micro in town for about 10 years and was in the press now and again. I don't hide it, nor do I push it onto people. I simply try to be honest about the fact that I really love making beer. So far it has not caused me any problems. I even made a commercial beer to celebrate a meeting of the Presbyterian Church (USA)'s national General Assembly that was held in New Mexico. I still run into people who know me as the guy who made that beer. The sad thing is it was a wheat beer, and I hate wheat beers.
That's awesome! I thought my wife and I were very happy at our church home, but I just realized that I want to come to your church!!!

Quick Reply