The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > BCS dubbel - carbonation volumes (confused about how much to carbonate)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2012, 11:24 PM   #1
gugguson
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 14

Default BCS dubbel - carbonation volumes (confused about how much to carbonate)

Hello.

I brewed Dubbel from Brewing classic styles 3 weeks ago and I'm going to bottle tomorrow.

Looking at the guidelines for Dubbels the recommended carbonation volumes is 2.3 - 2.9 vols in Beersmith. Looking at other calculators, the recommended volume for dubbels is usually 1.9 - 2.4 (i.e. http://www.kotmf.com/tools/prime.php).

The recipe in the books says condition this recipe to 3.0 - 4.0 vols.

Now I'm starting to think there might be some different measures or why is there so much difference in these recommendations?

I at least want to ferment my dubbel with higher rather than lower carbonation and I'm leaning towards using this calculator with the volume set to 3.5: http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/

Should I go higher (4.0)?

Last edited by gugguson; 07-10-2012 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Wrong link

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2012, 07:31 AM   #2
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3196 Times on 3101 Posts
Likes Given: 18

"Correct" carbonation levels are purely subjective, which is why there are so many different suggestions. Remember, they are all just that, suggestions. Carb it however you think it will taste best.

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash

Old 07-11-2012, 07:44 AM   #3
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1711 Times on 1600 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanMoore
"Correct" carbonation levels are purely subjective, which is why there are so many different suggestions. Remember, they are all just that, suggestions. Carb it however you think it will taste best.
This is true to an extent, but traditionally, Dubbels are highly carbed.

I think the book is the most correct. I would go no higher than maybe 3.3 if you're just using regular bottles (give yourself a safety margin for bottle bombs), but up to 4.0 if you're using the thick Belgian ones (or the tall 500ml German hefeweizen bottles, or even champagne bottles).

Quick Reply