Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Ball/Pin Lock Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2011, 12:34 PM   #1
optimatored
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Ball/Pin Lock Questions

So I bought a second keg yesterday and it has ball lock connections... my first keg has pin lock connections.

Anyone see a adv/disadvantage to:

1,) buying new posts and going all pin or ball locks
or
2.) Just buy new disconnects and call it a day

My plan is to finish putting my keezer together in the summer so having the optimal system at the moment is not a necessity.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-- Benjamin Franklin

Keg1: Saison
Keg2: Altbier
Bottled: RIS

On Deck: IPA, Dunkel, Doppelbock

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2011, 12:50 PM   #2
birvine
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I have ball lock and am happy. I can't see why it would be a problem other than the tiniest inconvenience of having to make sure you switch things around to match disconnects to kegs (ie not a problem, in my opinion.)

B

Old 01-20-2011, 01:01 PM   #3
nebben
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Personally, I would sell the one that you don't currently have quick connects for. I wouldn't want to have to wait to put a keg somewhere because it was one type or another. Its easier to have all kegs the same so the next one up in the rotation can go anywhere in the keezer there is an open spot.

Old 01-20-2011, 03:16 PM   #4
beerloin
Recipes 

Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimatored View Post
So I bought a second keg yesterday and it has ball lock connections... my first keg has pin lock connections.

Anyone see a adv/disadvantage to:

1,) buying new posts and going all pin or ball locks
or
2.) Just buy new disconnects and call it a day

My plan is to finish putting my keezer together in the summer so having the optimal system at the moment is not a necessity.
its all personal preference.
I have all pin locks - all of my disconnects are pin locks, so it is easy if i want to move things around or change in and out

obviously, if I had 1 ball lock, it would only work with the ball lock connections and i woundn't have that flexability.

so, again, its all about what you want to do

Old 01-20-2011, 03:44 PM   #5
kaiser423
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Get all of the same type. The quick-disconnects are just that - quick disconnects. You don't need to turn off the CO2 line or drain the beer line, you just twist, pop off and do the same to put it back on.

If you have two different types, you're going to end up always having them divided somehow and limit your flexibility (aka, tap 3 is always a pin lock and taps 1 and 2 are always ball lock, so if you have another beer in a ball lock you're going to have to transfer it to a pin lock, since that's probably faster than altering the quick disconnects).

Edit: I know some people use the odd-type out for their soda lines. That way they're never tempted to run their beer through lines that have been contaminated by root beer and other sodas. So, a friend uses ball locks for his beers and pin locks for his sodas. But that's aobut the only time I see that being worhtwhile.

Old 01-20-2011, 03:57 PM   #6
optimatored
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser423 View Post
Get all of the same type. The quick-disconnects are just that - quick disconnects. You don't need to turn off the CO2 line or drain the beer line, you just twist, pop off and do the same to put it back on.

If you have two different types, you're going to end up always having them divided somehow and limit your flexibility (aka, tap 3 is always a pin lock and taps 1 and 2 are always ball lock, so if you have another beer in a ball lock you're going to have to transfer it to a pin lock, since that's probably faster than altering the quick disconnects).

Edit: I know some people use the odd-type out for their soda lines. That way they're never tempted to run their beer through lines that have been contaminated by root beer and other sodas. So, a friend uses ball locks for his beers and pin locks for his sodas. But that's aobut the only time I see that being worhtwhile.
that is what i am thinking as well... better to go with one system so its interchangeable... thank you to all!!

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-- Benjamin Franklin

Keg1: Saison
Keg2: Altbier
Bottled: RIS

On Deck: IPA, Dunkel, Doppelbock

Old 01-21-2011, 12:51 AM   #7
JRems
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I do the same as above. 2 ball locks for beer and one pin lock for soda. Kegerator only holds 3 kegs so it works out.

Old 01-21-2011, 01:06 AM   #8
hummyjohnson
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I've got a collection of both. My kegerator can hold only two ball-lock kegs, but I can jam two pin-lock (shorter)in the back and two ball-lock in the front.

Whatever works for you. I don't find having two sets of connections to be a hassle at all.

Quick Reply