Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > ball lock vs pin lock?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2012, 03:39 AM   #31
jeepinjeepin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrooze
Yeah that's a pressure relief valve, but you can't just drill a hole in the lid and thread it in.

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 03:53 AM   #32
barrooze
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinjeepin View Post
Yeah that's a pressure relief valve, but you can't just drill a hole in the lid and thread it in.
Why not? Add a SS nut and an o-ring (maybe a washer too) and it's just like a weldless bulkhead assembly for a ball valve.
Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Saison (Belle Saison), Mid-ABV Janet's Brown, Festbier (ECY15), Oaked Brett Saison Primary: Night Howl Pumpkin Ale Souring: Sour Brown (ECY01), Oaked Brett Saison on Rhubarb On Deck: Pale ale, Ginger Beer On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Zombie Dust clone Updated: 2014/09/27
Untappd: barrooze

Old 10-03-2012, 04:15 AM   #33
jeepinjeepin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrooze

Why not? Add a SS nut and an o-ring (maybe a washer too) and it's just like a weldless bulkhead assembly for a ball valve.
I doubt you would have enough threads to go through the lid, an o-ring, and have room left to thread on a nut. If you want to try it M14 2.0 is the thread pitch. I just checked one. Even if it did fit the valve doesn't seal on itself. It seals on the bottom of the bung its threaded into.

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

Old 10-03-2012, 04:58 AM   #34
CaptnCully
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 10 Posts

Can u get a nut on the back of this one? It looks pretty short.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:09 AM   #35
duckredbeard
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 33 Posts

That relief valve you linked is not going to work by just threading it into a nut. Picture a cup welded to the top of the lid. Drill a hole through the bottom of that cup and the lid. Now imagine the rim of that cup is threaded for the threaded part of what you linked. The tip of it covers the hole, the spring keeps it tightly sealed. Excessive pressure, or pulling on the ring, unseats the seal allowing pressure to release.

You can drill a hole and install one of these in your lid. http://www.brewbrothers.biz/Pressure-Relief-Valve-Assy

Old 10-03-2012, 10:26 AM   #36
CaptnCully
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 10 Posts

NOW that's what I'm looking for..

Thanx

Old 10-03-2012, 01:52 PM   #37
barrooze
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 136

Here's another one from AHS if that's more convenient for you: http://www.austinhomebrew.com/produc...ducts_id=12537

And I wasn't implying the one I linked before as the only option, nor the best option. I'm sure it could be made to work with some additional parts, but why bother with the full valve asm!

Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Saison (Belle Saison), Mid-ABV Janet's Brown, Festbier (ECY15), Oaked Brett Saison Primary: Night Howl Pumpkin Ale Souring: Sour Brown (ECY01), Oaked Brett Saison on Rhubarb On Deck: Pale ale, Ginger Beer On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Zombie Dust clone Updated: 2014/09/27
Untappd: barrooze

Quick Reply