The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Ball Lock Sankey Adapter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2009, 04:46 PM   #1
bytemyfoot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Ball Lock Sankey Adapter

I'm in the process of building a kegerator for my homebrew and I got to thinking about using sankey kegs in there too. I looked around a saw a bunch of different options for converting between the two connection types. However, I was wondering if there is a coupler out there like the one that makes the most sense in my head: It would be a sankey coupler with ball lock posts (or pin lock, I guess) right on the appropriate parts. Like this (pardon my subpar phot manipulation skills):

If it doesn't exist, how hard would it be to make? Just tossing out an idea that popped into my head.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2009, 06:06 PM   #2
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Kegconnection went a little easier way and made the fittings on the sanke adapter the same as on the ball lock disconnects.

http://stores.kegconnection.com/Cate...rew+Conversion

Your idea might work too, it would depend on whether the thread sizes on the cornies could be matched with the sanke adapter...not sure what those sizes are though.

Old 12-19-2009, 06:09 PM   #3
bytemyfoot

Recipes 

The way I understand it, with that setup, you have threaded connections on your sankey connector, your 2 ball lock connectors and your lines. What I'm thinking of is putting the posts for ball locks directly onto the sankey connector so you don't have to unscrew anything or swap anything out.

Old 12-19-2009, 06:27 PM   #4
DKershner
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bytemyfoot View Post
The way I understand it, with that setup, you have threaded connections on your sankey connector, your 2 ball lock connectors and your lines. What I'm thinking of is putting the posts for ball locks directly onto the sankey connector so you don't have to unscrew anything or swap anything out.
I understood, was just suggesting a much easier alternative.

Thought about it some more tho, and I think you would have to find a way to raise the lip inside the threads like on a corny (the dip tube and gasket). Otherwise the poppet would hve nothing to sit on.

Old 12-19-2009, 10:29 PM   #5
DubbelDach
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I do dkershner's method and it's fantastic... I have the thumbscrew thingees on my lines anyway to connect to my threaded ball locks, so the easiest thing to do was to get this.

$14 and problem solved since I already had the sanke tap.

DD's All-Grain Tutorial

Old 12-23-2009, 02:25 AM   #6
bytemyfoot

Recipes 

Apparently it is possible! I found these pictures (not mine) on another forum. I don't know the policy on linking to another forum, so I won't.

(The part numbers are for Northern Brewer)

What would be the drawbacks of using a setup like this?

Old 12-23-2009, 09:56 AM   #7
marzsit
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

no drawbacks other than the cost, and the additional leak points. but, it's one way to use a micromatic cleaning bottle with corny ball-locks

Old 12-23-2009, 11:40 AM   #8
skibumdc
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzsit View Post
no drawbacks other than the cost, and the additional leak points. but, it's one way to use a micromatic cleaning bottle with corny ball-locks
Which is a very nice quick and less messy way to clean beer lines and couplers/faucets.

I upgraded to the pressurized cleaning system last year. What a time saver

Old 12-23-2009, 04:16 PM   #9
DKershner
Recipes 

I would probably go for something like the pictures if I constantly had Sanke kegs running. Would save about 10min/keg, not including the time saved by marzsit's ingenious cleaning idea.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:10 PM   #10
moeser
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzsit View Post
Old thread, but it came up when I was searching for an answer to a similar puzzle. Others might like to know: This conversion makes it easy to use those hand-held co2 chargers on a sankey tap too.

I keep a regular half-barrel keg in the house fridge, tapped for drinking. I keep my cornies out in the garage under co2 pressure while carbonating. This allows me to pour from the half-barrel while still carbonating the cornies in the garage. No more moving the heavy co2 tank back and forth!

Quick Reply