Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Ball lock gas disconnect - crisis

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2011, 09:33 PM   #1
mrk00k
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Ball lock gas disconnect - crisis

Having a party on Friday night and wanted to have a couple beers on tap. This is my first try kegging beers. First beer kegged up and good to go. Went to keg my second one, accidently mixed up the posts and tried to put the gas disconnect on the liquid post. It got stuck. Eventually got it off, but now it leaks. Maybe it always did. I know the disconnect is the problem, because I can use my other one with no problems on both kegs. Anyone know how to get a new one super quick? Maybe I can just switch the gas between them every half hour? Nearest LHBS is 40 miles away and I can't make it there before friday...help

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2011, 09:57 PM   #2
JetSmooth
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Where is it leaking from? The threads or poppet?

Bottling the Belgian: A Photo Odyssey

Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. When the beer has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:00 PM   #3
mrk00k
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSmooth View Post
Where is it leaking from? The threads or poppet?
It is leaking from the plastic disconnect, not the post. If I use a different disconnect on the same post it does not leak.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:04 PM   #4
JetSmooth
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Ahhhh didn't read it that well (on the train).

I suppose you could switch the gas from keg to keg. Crank the gas up to pressurize and you'll get a few pours out of it. My only concern is losing carbonation before you repressurize. .

Bottling the Belgian: A Photo Odyssey

Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. When the beer has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:29 PM   #5
mrk00k
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSmooth View Post
Ahhhh didn't read it that well (on the train).

I suppose you could switch the gas from keg to keg. Crank the gas up to pressurize and you'll get a few pours out of it. My only concern is losing carbonation before you repressurize. .
Yeah, that's what I was worried about.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:51 PM   #6
Misplaced_Canuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrk00k View Post
Having a party on Friday night and wanted to have a couple beers on tap. This is my first try kegging beers. First beer kegged up and good to go. Went to keg my second one, accidently mixed up the posts and tried to put the gas disconnect on the liquid post. It got stuck. Eventually got it off, but now it leaks. Maybe it always did. I know the disconnect is the problem, because I can use my other one with no problems on both kegs. Anyone know how to get a new one super quick? Maybe I can just switch the gas between them every half hour? Nearest LHBS is 40 miles away and I can't make it there before friday...help
I'm gonna guess it's not sitting properly. Take the "bad" one apart by removing the top of it (it's slotted for a screwdriver) and clean it all up and put it back together. It's possible that the pin/poppet inside the disconnect isn't sitting properly.

M_C
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:49 PM   #7
mrk00k
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced_Canuck View Post
I'm gonna guess it's not sitting properly. Take the "bad" one apart by removing the top of it (it's slotted for a screwdriver) and clean it all up and put it back together. It's possible that the pin/poppet inside the disconnect isn't sitting properly.

M_C
Tried this last night, several times in fact. It was a no go. Thanks though, didn't know I could take them apart before.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:36 AM   #8
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 166 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 4

If it's just for a night, there's nothing to worry about, just switch the gas line back and forth.

_

Old 06-16-2011, 10:36 AM   #9
marzsit
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrk00k View Post
Tried this last night, several times in fact. It was a no go. Thanks though, didn't know I could take them apart before.
chances are that the liquid post scratched the inside of the plastic disconnect when you pulled it back off, that's why it's leaking. unfortunately, i don't know of any way to fix a scratched plastic disconnect. best advice is to keep a small stash of spare parts, including a pair of spare disconnects..

Quick Reply