Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Ball Lock Corny Styles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2012, 04:29 AM   #1
tshinefield
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Ball Lock Corny Styles

Q1:How many styles (internally or externally) are there of ball lock corny kegs?

Q2: Can I assume all ball lock gasket kits are the same even with these differences below?

My first corny keg has a bent Dip Tube that feeds from the bottom center dip of the keg. My most recent corny that showed up today has a straight Dip Tube that feeds from a divet off one side of the flat bottom of the keg. Also the more recent keg has a ( i am guessing is older) gas in and liquid out posts that require a much larger wrench to remove and tighten than the other corny.

2012-12-21-21.15.00.jpg   dip-tube-keg.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 04:47 AM   #2
chessking
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 43 Posts

Here is a nice writeup on kegs. May not be exactly what you want but its a good read.

http://www.tomsbrewshop.com/Keg-Story.html

Old 12-22-2012, 05:04 AM   #3
iaefebs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 605

This is some more info

http://www.dresselbrew.com/Keg_Info.htm

Old 12-22-2012, 05:27 AM   #4
ChandlerBang
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessking View Post
Here is a nice writeup on kegs. May not be exactly what you want but its a good read.

Good stuff.

Old 12-23-2012, 01:49 AM   #5
tshinefield
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Thanks! It's making since now.

Old 12-23-2012, 03:57 AM   #6
CrazyGnome07
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessking View Post

Dang, that article was mostly depressing! And that update at the bottom? A bit doomsayer-ish to me. Are corny kegs really going to disappear? Are ball lock kegs so impossible to find? My local brewing store usually has 5 or 6 against the window for only $45..
He said that in 12-24 months the supply would be gone, but he also said that was known since 2009, and its now about 2013, is that an old article? Did something change? Should I be stockpiling kegs?

Old 12-23-2012, 04:15 AM   #7
JRems
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I don't know that it is truth. My local pepsi distributor still uses corny tanks, I don't think they know how many are stil being used. There are also plenty of independent distributors still using cornys.

Old 12-23-2012, 09:27 AM   #8
chessking
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyGnome07 View Post
Dang, that article was mostly depressing! And that update at the bottom? A bit doomsayer-ish to me. Are corny kegs really going to disappear? Are ball lock kegs so impossible to find? My local brewing store usually has 5 or 6 against the window for only $45..
He said that in 12-24 months the supply would be gone, but he also said that was known since 2009, and its now about 2013, is that an old article? Did something change? Should I be stockpiling kegs?
I wouldn't get too worried, there are still a lot of kegs out there, but one fact is certain. There is a finite number of used kegs, and as the home brewing community grows, the availability will suffer. However there are a lot of pin locks, as well as new kegs, although these are a bit costly. I have talked to Tom, the guy who wrote that article, and although he is in the business, and wants to sell his stock, he is a solid guy and knows his sh*t. His kegs are clean and functional. Ive got a half dozen of his kegs and no complaints.

I don't think its panic time yet, but if you plan to buy kegs, the price is only going to go up. How soon and how much is anybody's guess. As the price rises, the demand will become more selective, so there will be some stabilization. If your going to buy them anyway, I would consider those $45 Home Brew store kegs a fair deal. Make sure they hold pressure and have a set of replacement o rings handy.

Old 12-23-2012, 08:25 PM   #9
OntarioBeerKegs
www.OntarioBeerKegs.com
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 7

There is no shortage of new ball lock kegs and prices have been dropping as more companies start to make them.

Prices will be dropping again this summer since there are new players coming aboard with more NSF stamped kegs on the horizon. Just the pin locks that will be dwindling since there is no new ones being made and a good portion of the old ones get converted to ball lock

Canadian Homebrew Supplies
www.ontariobeerkegs.com
www.brewpump.com
1 855 KEG BEER

Old 12-24-2012, 12:12 AM   #10
Kolenka
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntarioBeerKegs View Post
Prices will be dropping again this summer since there are new players coming aboard with more NSF stamped kegs on the horizon.
This is something I am glad to hear about. The current crop of Chinese sourced kegs are interesting, but the lack of standard safety certification is what makes me a bit leery of investing in a couple of them. Knowing that there have been some spectacular safety gaffes in the recent past with some products, I'd be happy to find out that they started participating with the NSF folks on the kegs, even if the kegs themselves were already up to spec.

Quick Reply