New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Bad co2??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 09:08 PM   #1
TX-straggler
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Bad co2??

So I kegged a beer the Weekend before Thanksgiving, carbed it, and drank some of it Thanksgiving day. It tasted great! Went out of town Friday, when I got back Sunday I drew a pint off and I think it's contaminated, infected whatever you want to call it. The only variable I can think of is that the original co2 that it was on was from a nice little HBS store bottle, then Friday it got put on an extremely old co2 bottle that I bought off of someone with the co2 that was already in there when he had it. Can that co2 be trusted?? Could I have got an infection earlier in and it just took a few days to taste it???

If the co2 is the problem, can the bottle be trusted, simply empty it completely and go get it filled at my HBS??

Thanks for any input!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 01:52 AM   #2
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 816 Times on 677 Posts

With all the potential causes of infection from grain to glass, a CO2 bottle would rank way, way down the list...

Cheers!

Old 11-28-2012, 02:02 AM   #3
Haputanlas
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 38

C02 is C02. The only way I believe that it could have anything to do with the C02 tank you got would be from the connectors.

As the above poster mentioned, there are so many other things to look at that might have caused the issue.

Can you explain the off flavor?

"There is no strong beer, only weak men"
"Pretty women make us BUY beer, ugly women make us DRINK beer" - Al Bundy
"Give a man a beer, he'll drink for a day. Teach a man to brew, he'll be drunk for the rest of his life."

Primary: Viking Metal, Berliner Weisse
Kegged: Oaked English Mild, Modus Hoperandi
Bottled: None
Notable Empties: Oaked Black IIPA, BBK I, Red IIPA, Burning Bush, Apophis "The Destroyer", Vanilla Porter
On-Deck: Hobbit Ale, The Titan BW, Ale of Olympus

Old 11-28-2012, 11:14 AM   #4
TX-straggler
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ok Thanks!! I was just thinking along the lines of the bottle or the co2 because the first couple of days the beer tasted great. Then 4 days later its infected after being on an old bottle and co2.

This afternoon I'm going to try to get some flavors and post them.

Appreciate it!

Old 11-28-2012, 04:07 PM   #5
SmokingGunn
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

It depends on how old you consider old. It used to be possible to get "dirty" CO2 10-15 years ago, but nowadays it's unheard of.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:10 PM   #6
Belenus
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Wow, I hadn't thought about this potential. Does anyone have a proceedure when setting up a new CO2 distribution system? Can you just blow some Starsan through the gas lines and distribution blocks to the ball locks, into an empty keg? I just set up the first section of my distribution system and only have one keg hooked up, so I'd like to do whatever I need to now.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:24 PM   #7
SmokingGunn
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belenus View Post
Wow, I hadn't thought about this potential. Does anyone have a proceedure when setting up a new CO2 distribution system? Can you just blow some Starsan through the gas lines and distribution blocks to the ball locks, into an empty keg? I just set up the first section of my distribution system and only have one keg hooked up, so I'd like to do whatever I need to now.
I actually just started a thread asking this exact same question. I realized I've got a CO2 regulator in my truck that I bought several years ago and I'm sure it's far from sanitized.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:50 PM   #8
Adrenaline-Junkie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokingGunn View Post
It depends on how old you consider old. It used to be possible to get "dirty" CO2 10-15 years ago, but nowadays it's unheard of.
It is still VERY possible to get dirty co2. Ive been into paintball since i was old enough to play and have seen some pretty nasty stuff with co2, compressed air, and nitrogen.

Old 11-28-2012, 05:11 PM   #9
Haputanlas
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 38

As i said before, C02 is C02.

If your provider is giving you a mix of other junk, then of course you'll have issues. Just make sure to ask them and let them know what you're using it for.

I've also heard of canisters being the source of the off flavor and I've personally experienced that.

I still suggest you post the actual flavors you are experiencing

"There is no strong beer, only weak men"
"Pretty women make us BUY beer, ugly women make us DRINK beer" - Al Bundy
"Give a man a beer, he'll drink for a day. Teach a man to brew, he'll be drunk for the rest of his life."

Primary: Viking Metal, Berliner Weisse
Kegged: Oaked English Mild, Modus Hoperandi
Bottled: None
Notable Empties: Oaked Black IIPA, BBK I, Red IIPA, Burning Bush, Apophis "The Destroyer", Vanilla Porter
On-Deck: Hobbit Ale, The Titan BW, Ale of Olympus

Old 11-28-2012, 05:23 PM   #10
SmokingGunn
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline-Junkie View Post
It is still VERY possible to get dirty co2. Ive been into paintball since i was old enough to play and have seen some pretty nasty stuff with co2, compressed air, and nitrogen.
I was talking about from the producers, but I suppose you're right. If the distributor uses the same manifolds for all of their products, there very well could be contamination depending on their vacuum/purging practices. The company I deal with has a completely separate manifold for their CO2.

Quick Reply