New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Awesome SWMBO but now what....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2009, 02:00 PM   #1
Catch-22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Awesome SWMBO but now what....

My lady surprised me yesterday with a two faucet kegerator. Here is the link. Kegerator - Sanyo Dual Faucet along with tho G couplers and two 1/6th slim 5 gal kegs. Not sure why she picked that but when I opened it I realized that this wouldn't work for homebrew without a conversion. My question is exactly what will I need? What can I do with these kegs. I called the company in question and they will charge me a 20% restock fee along with the shipping. Ideas?

Dwight Schrute: In an ideal world I would have all ten fingers on my left hand so my right hand could just be a fist for punching.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2009, 02:08 PM   #2
chumprock
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I dont understand? It should fit a couple cornies in there no problem..

Quote:
1/6th Barrel (5.23 Gallons) Fits up to 2

The only thing you would need to do is remove the sanke adapters and add corny fittings.

Old 06-30-2009, 02:09 PM   #3
Matdik
Recipes 

Wish my swmbo would get me that...

I think it will work fine.. It even says that it fits two 5gal homebrew tanks on the information sheet. Maybe someone can confirm but I think you just need to remove the commercial style taps with ball or pin lock taps.. I can't imagine that it would be to hard or costly. Score!!

Old 06-30-2009, 02:15 PM   #4
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4525 Times on 4245 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Lemme get this straight.

She bought you a kegorator, the couplings, and 2 1/6th bbl kegs?

And you don't know what to do?

I think the only recourse here is to have a beer and tap her with your cobra.

Old 06-30-2009, 02:17 PM   #5
Sherpa FE
The < 1% Club

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

THe problem with that set up is the fittings are for sanke kegs, not soda kegs. yes 5 gallon corny kegs will fit in there with no problem, but you will have to modify the fittings.

Micro-Matic only sells items, for commercial applications. Some items like beer line, gas line and other small items are interchangeable, and work for homebrewing as well.

It is a ncie Unit though, They display it right at the front door when you walk in their warehouse. I have a micro-Matic right next to where I work, so its nice to have close, no shipping and such.

Old 06-30-2009, 02:21 PM   #6
Catch-22
Recipes 

I'm saying that I know I need to convert to the corny kegs and buy the corny's but with this configuration, do I just need the ball locks and corny's or is there other things. I don't want to drive the 80 miles to the LHBS and still be missing something. The question of the kegs is that these are kegs used for commercial european breweries and don't have a large opening like the corny's do. Just wondering if there is a way around that. Perhaps rack into the out port? Don't get me wrong... I'm pretty happy. She also got me this to install at her house but I didn't mention it because I would just need the same thing as above. Kegerator Conversion Kit, 2 Keg (Door Kit, Less Cylinder)

Dwight Schrute: In an ideal world I would have all ten fingers on my left hand so my right hand could just be a fist for punching.

Old 06-30-2009, 02:21 PM   #7
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector

Recipes 

Liked 2729 Times on 2680 Posts
Likes Given: 99

You can use those kegs just fine for homebrewing. It's just more work to fill them because of those little locking rings are a bigger pain than the corny style lid. I used normal DType coupler kegs for my first 3 kegged batches. There are people that will buy your kegs if you'd like, or you could just keep them. Another option if the height allows it is to the the barbs off the couplers and replace will ball lock posts, then in the future buy ball lock kegs and they'd be compatible. You can buy low profile Sanke Couplers.

i did find the corny kegs to be much easier to use though.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 06-30-2009, 03:07 PM   #8
Catch-22
Recipes 

Ok another question. I'm completely new to this and due to the fact kegs are illegal for sale in Utah, I have no experience with these commercial types. Corny's....easy. open the lid clean, sanitize and rack the beer keeping the oxygen down. With the ones she got though....I wonder about the beer splashing around too much and becoming oxigenated.

Old 06-30-2009, 03:21 PM   #9
popester
Recipes 

Purge the keg with CO2 and then you can splash all you want.

Old 06-30-2009, 03:28 PM   #10
Baja_Brewer
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Those slim 1/6ths will work fine, but if you decide you want more kegs you may consider changing over one set of fittings to fit corny kegs and leaving the other to work off your 1/6 sanke type couples. This way you can buy corny kegs (which will be cheaper) and use them, but still use the kegs that you were given with that system. PLUS if you leave the sanke coupler, you can always throw in a 1/2 barrel for a party, if you can manage to get one (which sounds difficult in Utah)

Courage les garçons, et patience, vos femmes vont finir par apprécier la bière !

Quick Reply