The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Avanti Party Pub

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2012, 08:14 PM   #1
vydyne
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Avanti Party Pub

So Im new to the forum but have been trolling around for a couple weeks now and Ive come to love the website. Awesome people with a lot of knowledge. And so here I am asking those people for an opinion...

Im fairly new to brewing and have already decided that bottling is a little bit of a pain. I do enjoy having them around and I honestly dont mind the work to bottle a batch or two but if I can make life simpler then why not.

And so here lies my question, does anyone have any opinions or experience with the Avanti Party Pub?
http://www.avantiproducts.com/products/id/466

I think the little video on the page is pretty cool description of how it all works. Looks like Ill be able to toss in my home brews into the mini barrels and carbonate with priming solution no problem, seal it up nice and after couple weeks toss in, chill and enjoy.

I have searched the forums and seen posts about their mini pub but from everything Ive seen online, the Party Pub and Mini Pub are two completely different things. To those who suggest just standard kegging, I sadly do not have the space required for another fridge. Trips to the basement when I want a beer i consider to be inconvenient and so this is small enough that it wouldnt take up that much space.

So any thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2012, 02:40 AM   #2
vydyne
Recipes 

Nobody has an opinion about this? Little disappointing. Thought they seemed pretty cool.

Old 02-07-2012, 03:44 AM   #3
I_B_Mongo
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 24

First off, I've never used or seen one-so keep that in mind.
I guess it depends on how much they cost. I couldn't find a price on the link. I know that some people here re-use those mini kegs. If space is a factor, you could always consider getting a 2.5 or 3 gallon corny keg and keeping it in your regular refrigerator. Of course you'll also need a co2 tank, regulator, and (at least) a picnic tap. Factor all of the above in your price and go from there. Also, if you are ever in a position to get a full blown keggerator, you'll already have the mentioned equipment. And if you get out of the hobby, you can give the keg to me for all the help.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:34 PM   #4
vydyne
Recipes 

Well they sadly run about the $250 range. Probably more expensive than the keg setup. Mentioned the keg setup to wifey and she not too keen on loosing her fridge space. And if I were to get out the hobby I'd be happy to send it to a new home

Old 02-07-2012, 04:07 PM   #5
I_B_Mongo
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 24

They really don't take up that much space. Not a whole lot bigger than a gallon of milk, footprint wise. To try to sell her on the idea, you could keep whatever space it would take up open in the fridge for a few weeks...just to prove a point. Once she sees that she'll still have plenty of room, maybe she'll give you the go ahead.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:28 PM   #6
IXVolt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Looks pretty cool, but I've always been hesitant about the CO2 cartridges. Knowing how much CO2 I go through, I'd be buying those (expensive) cartridges all the time!

I also don't know much about those kegs and how they connect, can you re-use them or are you required to just buy another keg.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:29 PM   #7
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 372 Times on 295 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Keep in mind that those little mini 5 liter kegs are not designed to be refilled. It is a DYI project to refill them and retrofit them to be force carbonated. You don't just hook a coupler up to them like sankey or corny kegs. The little CO2 cartidges WILL NOT carbonate the keg, they are just enough to provide serving pressure.

It is a bit of a PITA, in my opinion, to even work with those kegs. It can be done, but if you want it to be simple and don't expect to have to use a little ingenuity and extra work to fill and carb these kegs, then this is not for you.

Primary #1 - EMPTY!
Primary #2 - Cherry Wood Smoked Tart Cherry Cider
Primary #3 - EMPTY!
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown
Keg #1 - Blackberry Berliner Weisse
Keg #2 - Baltic Porter (lagering in keg)
Keg #3 - Berliner Weisse
Bottled - NONE!

Old 02-07-2012, 09:03 PM   #8
vydyne
Recipes 

Cant the 5L mini kegs be carbonated via priming solution and a rubber bung? If so, then wouldnt that work fine for the setup? Honestly not trying to loophole the wisdom and advice of my betters Im just purely curious.

In regards to running a smaller keg in the kitchen fridge, would that be the standard setup of the keg and CO2 tank plus the tap in there? Still completely new to the kegging field as I have bottled my previous brews.

And as for the tap, hows this: http://www.kegworks.com/bronco-keg-b...ler-396-p16490

Old 02-07-2012, 09:15 PM   #9
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 372 Times on 295 Posts
Likes Given: 19

You can't hold carbonation pressures with a bung....the pressure would push a bung out long before carbonation started.

Also, these are those little 5 liter kegs, like the Heinekin and Newcastle kegs at the grocery store. You can't tap them with a sankey tap. It's a smaller, much different coupler.

That's what I'm saying, they don't make it easy to reuse these things.

Primary #1 - EMPTY!
Primary #2 - Cherry Wood Smoked Tart Cherry Cider
Primary #3 - EMPTY!
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown
Keg #1 - Blackberry Berliner Weisse
Keg #2 - Baltic Porter (lagering in keg)
Keg #3 - Berliner Weisse
Bottled - NONE!

Old 02-07-2012, 09:47 PM   #10
vydyne
Recipes 

I apologize for the confusion with the link. I meant would that type of tap system work with a simple set up in the fridge? Id need something fairly low profile. The avanti system seems cool but the more I hear from you guys and read around, its just not worth the trouble or money.

Quick Reply