Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Avanti BD6000

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2007, 12:41 PM   #1
CivEngPE
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Avanti BD6000

After reading many threads on this board and others regarding the Sanyo 4912 conversion, I finally decided to dive in! After going to BB to investigate, I discovered the inside depth to only be 12". Since, I want the capability to utilize commercial as well as corney kegs, I chose to go a different rout. I purchased the Avanti BD6000 kegerator. It fits a commercial keg or 2 corneys and the co2 tank fits on the shelf in the back.

Last night, I assembled the Avanti and was impressed with the fit and finish of this kegerator. The only thing, I would change would be the tower (cheap plastic), but it will serve my purposes for now. I set it to max on initial start up and placed a glass of water with a digital thermometer in the kegerator to see where it would bottom out. Within 2 hours, the glass was completely frozen and the temp read 28 deg. I dialed it back a notch and left it over night and it settled out at 34 deg.

So far I am very happy with the purchase. I bought it for $499.99 -12% coupon and added the extended warranty for 24.95. The grand total was $503.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2007, 01:04 PM   #2
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Congrats. I can see that buying commercial kegs that it will come in handy for you.

I don't, so I didn't.

Old 02-15-2007, 03:15 PM   #3
CivEngPE
Recipes 

The main reason for the purchase was for my homebrew. I just didn't want to be limited to this only.

Old 02-15-2007, 07:03 PM   #4
Fiery Sword

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Most micros, and plenty of big breweries are now pushing 1/6 kegs, or "logs". In fact, a friend of mine in the distribution industry recently told me the 1/4 barrels are being phased out of usage by all major breweries (I cannot independently verify this, but this person is a career liquor distribution pro). More or less 1/2 barrels and 1/6 barrels are going to be the norm. Logs aren't that much bigger than cornies, and fit just fine in a 4912.....see below for a pic of my bro's kegerator (not a 4912) w/ a cornie and a log of brooklyn pilsner....the log is on the left....

Old 02-15-2007, 07:40 PM   #5
Brewtopia
"Greenwood Aged Beer"
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 8 Posts

I bought the Avanti BD6000 as well. I swapped out the cheap plastic tower and installed a dual tap chrome tower with Shirron faucets. I like the fact that I can fit a commercial Sankey or Hof-Stevens keg in there. I've already used it a couple of times for that purpose in bewteen batches of homebrew.

Old 07-15-2007, 10:59 PM   #6
ChopperCharles
Recipes 

Strange - my Avanti came with a steel tower. It's painted black with applicance enamel, but it's definitely metal. I'm surprised you don't have a problem with the thermostat - almost everyone who owns an Avanti does. I found a scratch/dent floor model at Best Buy for $399 (one little ding in the door), and immediately ordered the $50 Johnson's temperature controller from micromatic, as well as a longer 3/16 ID beer line. (Avanti comes with a 3' piece of line, but 5' is ideal to keep the beer from foaming)

Eventually I'll probably swap out the faucet and the cheap Sankey tap for stainless, but for now I'm quite happy with it. I've got a 1/2 barrel keg of Rouge Dead Guy on order...

Charles.

Quick Reply