Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Auto siphon to Ball lock liquid in...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2013, 12:19 AM   #1
pjcampbell
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Auto siphon to Ball lock liquid in...

I have the larger auto siphon from Northern Brewer. I want to siphon into a liquid in ball lock connector so I don't have to sanitize the outside of the siphon lines. The siphon uses 1/2" ID. I see that ball lock barb'ed connectors use 1/4" ID tubing. What's the best way for me to transition... or is there such thing as a ball lock that uses a 1/2" barb?

Here's the siphon
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/auto-siphon-1-2.html

here's the barb:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Corney-Corny...item1e760844d0

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 01:20 AM   #2
shelly_belly
Got My Mojo Workin'
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 19

You will probably have to use a 1/2" barb to 1/4" barb reducing coupler and 2 hoses. I've seen the couplers at either Lowes or Home depot. I think they were polypropylene or nylon. They may have them in brass too. I found a stainless one online but it was $20.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:50 AM   #3
H22W
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I experimented with this and found it very frustrating.

The outside diameter of my ball lock line was the same as the inside diameter of my siphon line. I attached with a pipe clamp but constantly struggled to keep air from leaking in. A good barb adapter would have avoided this issue.

The main problem was that the flow was awful slow. Eventually I was so impatient that I resorted to sucking on the air post line just to get the siphon to flow. Even though my beer was quite clear I think small amounts of trub were obstructing the ball lock post. The low pressure of the siphon just wouldn't push through.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:50 AM   #4
worxman02
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by H22W View Post
I experimented with this and found it very frustrating.

The outside diameter of my ball lock line was the same as the inside diameter of my siphon line. I attached with a pipe clamp but constantly struggled to keep air from leaking in. A good barb adapter would have avoided this issue.

The main problem was that the flow was awful slow. Eventually I was so impatient that I resorted to sucking on the air post line just to get the siphon to flow. Even though my beer was quite clear I think small amounts of trub were obstructing the ball lock post. The low pressure of the siphon just wouldn't push through.
You can try and fix your flow issues by increasing the height difference between your source vessel and the vessel you are transferring to.

I do successfully transfer my beer from the fermenter to my kegs through the liquid ball lock. I have a MFL style ball lock and I have both a 3/8" auto-siphon and a 1/2". I simply warm up the end of the tubing and then screw it onto the threads on the ball lock. I don't get any air from this system and no leaks or clamps needed.

I would do what Shelly Belly suggested and get a 1/2" to 1/4" barb adapter from home depot and use that to connect your 1/2" auto-siphon to your 1/4" barb on the ball lock.
Kegged: Scottish Pale Ale (Scottish 80/- with added Hop Tea.
Bottled:Pumpkin Ale & Mcquaker's Chocolate Oatmeal Stout
Drinking: Above & HUB IPA & Dechutes Black Butte Porter

Old 05-15-2013, 12:32 PM   #5
pjcampbell
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Oh, well I have an MFL ball lock also. I'll try that first! Thanks!

Quick Reply