Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > anything else I need to know before I pour my first draft beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012, 01:59 AM   #1
tgmartin000
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default anything else I need to know before I pour my first draft beer?

I brewed the deception cream stout from the recipie archive back in about September. I racked to a corny eight days ago, after sitting in secondary about 6 weeks.

I attempted to carb to about 2.1 volumes by boost carbing at 28 psi for 24 hours, and it's been sitting at 10 psi for the last 7 days. I think in 3 days I'll vent down to 5 psi and hook up the beer line. I expect the first pint to be slushy.

I have 5' beer lines, 3/16 id.

Everything sound about right? Can't wait!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 02:07 AM   #2
annasdadhockey
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Only 1 way to find out. Best of luck to you, and enjoy your first draft. Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc View Post
Things are going great too. I think I've only punched her in the face 3 times!
FERMENTING: Heady Topper Clone?
CONDITIONING: 40 gallons KBS clone in a Jim Beam Barrel (since 11/24/12)
DRINKING: Smoked Robust Porter, Orange Coriander Pale Ale #5
THINKING: first foray into lagers?

Old 11-27-2012, 02:09 AM   #3
rjsnau
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Sounds about right excpet i have 6 ft but just leave the serving psi at 12. You may try just leaving it at 10 and see what happens. The only other thing to watch out for is how easy it is to grab a second/third/fourth. :-)

Old 11-27-2012, 02:11 AM   #4
annasdadhockey
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsnau View Post
The only other thing to watch out for is how easy it is to grab a second/third/fourth. :-)
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!! He's supposed to find that out on his own, just like we did,

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc View Post
Things are going great too. I think I've only punched her in the face 3 times!
FERMENTING: Heady Topper Clone?
CONDITIONING: 40 gallons KBS clone in a Jim Beam Barrel (since 11/24/12)
DRINKING: Smoked Robust Porter, Orange Coriander Pale Ale #5
THINKING: first foray into lagers?

Old 11-27-2012, 02:14 AM   #5
BrewKnurd
Formerly discnjh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Why are you venting down to 5? That's gonna be a slooooooooooooooooooooooow pour. If you want 2.1 volumes, 10 psi is just right if your kegerator is at 45 degrees. If you're at 33 degrees, then the 5 psi is right for carbonation, but again, with 5 feet of 3/16 beer line, you're going to have a very very slow pour at that pressure. I have a keg that's at 10 psi and its slow enough. Don't really want to think about what it would be like at 5.

Fake it til you make it.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:52 PM   #6
tgmartin000
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewKnurd View Post
Why are you venting down to 5? That's gonna be a slooooooooooooooooooooooow pour. If you want 2.1 volumes, 10 psi is just right if your kegerator is at 45 degrees. If you're at 33 degrees, then the 5 psi is right for carbonation, but again, with 5 feet of 3/16 beer line, you're going to have a very very slow pour at that pressure. I have a keg that's at 10 psi and its slow enough. Don't really want to think about what it would be like at 5.
My fridge was at about 38 last night, so I turned it down to try to hit about 42. I don't have a temp controller, so just have to turn the thermostat on the fridge to try to hit my temps. At this point I'm not too concerned if it's 2.1 or 2.2 volumes, since this is my first attempt.

My homebrew store, very knowledgeable guys, suggested using only enough pressure as it takes to pour the beer - about 5-6 psi. I'll try my first pour at 10 psi and see how it works out.

Thanks guys!

Old 11-27-2012, 04:58 PM   #7
DPBISME
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 76

I would suggest putting a GLASS under the spout to capture the flowing beer.

Welcome to the club!

DPB

Old 11-27-2012, 11:58 PM   #8
zachattack
Recipes 

Liked 227 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgmartin000 View Post
My homebrew store, very knowledgeable guys, suggested using only enough pressure as it takes to pour the beer - about 5-6 psi. I'll try my first pour at 10 psi and see how it works out.
Unless you enjoy fiddling with the regulator multiple times a day and wasting CO2, this is pretty crappy advice. Calculate the pressure you need to maintain carbonation (others have mentioned this) and leave it at that pressure until the keg is kicked. If you lower the pressure and don't turn it back up, the beer will slowly lose carbonation. If it's consistently pouring foamy it means your serving line's not long enough, so buy maybe 8-10 feet and swap that in there. Now you can pour beer after beer for as long as you want (months, years even) without touching the regulator or worrying about losing carbonation.

Quick Reply