Anyone cut their dip tube?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SevenFields

Reaction score
I am still getting some yeast/sediment in my pours and I am thinking about cutting a 1/2-1inch off of my dip tube in each keg.
Has anyone ever done this?

How is all that yeast/sediment getting into your kegs? After the first pint, mine run clean until the end.

I am still getting some yeast/sediment in my pours and I am thinking about cutting a 1/2-1inch off of my dip tube in each keg.
Has anyone ever done this?

How is all that yeast/sediment getting into your kegs? After the first pint, mine run clean until the end.

He might be secondarying in his kegs then moving them to the kegerator. In any case yes you can cut your dip tube 1/2-1in and after you give your "angels share" (your first pour) you should see much cleaner beer pours. But with heavier beers you will still see trub in your pours ....thats if you are using your kegs as a secondary.

I've heard of people doing it, and basically making a bright tank. I use gelatin in my kegs and after the first couple pints, the rest of the stuff just sticks together and doesn't come out on the pour.

I dont use my kegs as a secondary. My dip tubes touch the very bottom of the keg so every thing gets sucked up. Thats why I was going to cut a little off

Are your dip tubes straight or curved? If they are curved, when you take them out to clean them next time make more of a bend at the bottom, that will let the dip tube sit further from the bottom of the keg.

Are your dip tubes straight or curved? If they are curved, when you take them out to clean them next time make more of a bend at the bottom, that will let the dip tube sit further from the bottom of the keg.

In fact....you could bend the dip tube towards one side and put a pea under the other side of the keg.;)

I had seriously considered installing a slightly slanted floor in my fridge to slant the kegs away from the dip tubes.

Yeast, etc would settle away from the tube.

I cut about 1 and 3/4 inches off of 1 of mine. I use it as a bright tank. I rack into it on top of gelatin. Next I cold crash and carb at the same time. I then push it in to a serving keg. I lose about 22oz of beer but now I can move serving kegs around without stirring up any sediment. I also don't have to throw out any of the first pulls. I will do a second one when I move up to 10 gal batches.

I cut about 1 and 3/4 inches off of 1 of mine. I use it as a bright tank. I rack into it on top of gelatin. Next I cold crash and carb at the same time. I then push it in to a serving keg. I lose about 22oz of beer but now I can move serving kegs around without stirring up any sediment. I also don't have to throw out any of the first pulls. I will do a second one when I move up to 10 gal batches.

Throw out......first....pulls.........

WTF??:drunk:

Methinks you take this "clear beer" thing to absurdity.

It takes like 2 secs to bend te tube where you want it. Why throw out first pulls or second? The same amount just stays in the bottom of the keg ;)

I've heard of people doing it, and basically making a bright tank. I use gelatin in my kegs and after the first couple pints, the rest of the stuff just sticks together and doesn't come out on the pour.

I used gelatin twice and the last pint was of each was all gelatinous sludge. It was a bummer to realize the last good pint was the one I had just finished......:(

I've never had satisfactory results bending stainless tubing(enough to matter). I cut 3/8" to 1/2" off all my kegs (15), it works fine. You will lose a whole 3 or 4ozs of beer, which is all sediment and yeast anyway.

Back