Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Anyone cut the dip tube on their corny kegs?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2011, 06:34 PM   #21
cheier
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Haven't cut any of my dip tubes... then again, I filter my beers. Usually lots of yeast but no beer left behind in the filter...

Also, I second smac's sentiment. Cleaning is super easy. Only I use PBW instead of oxyclean. The pressure created by the hot water is enough to push water up through the beer line.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2011, 07:14 PM   #22
jetmac
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by yournotpeter View Post
now, that has more to do with the fact that I didn't successfully leave enough hop break in the boil kettle and it somehow made it to me keg as well. Each pint I pulled had a bunch of floating crap it in. Again, that has more to do with my inability on that particular batch.
Did u ferment in your keg?

Wayne Gretzky-"100% of the shots you don't take, don't go in

Revvy>>You shouldn't worry about ANYTHING, you didn't hurt the yeast, they know what they need to do, they want to eat all that sugar they are swimming around in. They want to pee alcohol and fart co2, it's their nature.

Bobby_M>>I flood the keg with CO2 for one minute with the lid off, rack the beer in to the bottom gently, seal it, flood it, vent it. If there's still O2 in there after that, F it.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:38 PM   #23
jewillia
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRems View Post
The only tube I cut is the gas in tube. Some are 2-3 inches long and if really full you can get beer up the gas line. I cut them all to 1" so the keg can be filled very high.
I just kegged my first beer on Sunday and definitely filled it too full. Beer was coming out the gas in post. I had a picnic tap on the out and it would spray out of there every time I turned on the gas. I ended up with quite a bit of foamy beer sprayed out into several glasses before it stopped. I'm guessing that's how long it took to get the level of beer below the gas tube.

Also, jetmac, that's a great avatar and nice quote from BobbyM.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:49 PM   #24
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 166 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by samc View Post
Hot water, Oxiclean and the lid on the keg produces enough pressure that when you depress the poppet you will get a good shot of hot water, kind of looks like . . . never mind.
I've done that, not as easy to rinse, as I don't refill or use hot water to rinse out.

_

Old 06-07-2011, 09:25 PM   #25
BigdogMark
Recipes 

I cut the tube in the first couple of kegs, but only just a snip. The other eight kegs I just did a bit of creative bending on the tube so the tip is about even with the top of the dimple in the keg bottom. Works great, wastes less than an ounce or so, and the tube doesn't bounce off the bottom when the faucet is opened, stirring up trub. That is the main reason I do it anyway. Not sure why, but all my kegs had tubes that were nearly touching the bottom, but the pressure change from opening the faucet made the tube ding off the bottom, and pulled more junk. Getting just a wee bit higher stopped that problem.

If I don't let a beer clear completely in the fermenter, I still can get a bit of sediment on the first pour, but nothing thereafter.

A voluntarily indentured servant at the Soggy Bottom Brewhaus!

On Tap: Golden Strong Belgian, Blonde
Fermenting: Belgian Blonde, AppleWine

Old 06-07-2011, 09:34 PM   #26
JetSmooth
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 10

What did you use to bend the tubes?

Bottling the Belgian: A Photo Odyssey

Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. When the beer has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:38 PM   #27
shelly_belly
Got My Mojo Workin'
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I cut one of mine to make a bright tank out of it. It works great. The only problem I have with it is when I sanitize a keg I like to push the star san out with CO2 until empty. Then I would push beer from the primary to the sanitized keg without having opened the keg lid letting the CO2 out. With the cut tube keg I have to remove the lid to dump the remaining star san out and then re-purge the keg with CO2.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:37 PM   #28
BigdogMark
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSmooth View Post
What did you use to bend the tubes?
I used my hands and my knee. I make a slight back bend in the portion of the tube that goes straight down, then I bend the bottom section up just ever so slightly. After a few drinks and a few bends I wind up with the end centered over the dimple in the bottom of the keg, but even with the top of the dimple. It doesn't take much at all.

A voluntarily indentured servant at the Soggy Bottom Brewhaus!

On Tap: Golden Strong Belgian, Blonde
Fermenting: Belgian Blonde, AppleWine

Old 12-25-2012, 02:55 AM   #29
prandlesc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I cut my first tube today. I used one of my cornys as a secondary fermenter and added 1.5 oz of pellet hops to an IPA. There was so much gunk in the bottom, the beer wouldn't transfer out under CO2 pressure. I pulled the tube, cut about an inch off, sanitized it and put it back in. The transfer worked fine after that. I'll just keep this keg for use as a secondary, and/or order another dip tube for normal use.

Old 12-25-2012, 03:48 AM   #30
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3728 Times on 2292 Posts
Likes Given: 3229

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
You pour off a few ounces and I leave a few in the bottom, what's the difference?

_
You're right, no difference.

So, you cut your's for no reason.

[ edit: ugh. old thread. ]

Quick Reply