Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Any use for a Sanke?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2013, 09:41 PM   #1
hubbs
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Any use for a Sanke?

Other than the obvious Keggle/MLT/etc is there any way to use a 15.5gal Sanke for dispensing beer?

I just bought a setup from a guy on Craigslist, and I am thinking of exchanging and dispensing commercial beer, but I would love to find a way to fill it with homebrew.

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 09:53 PM   #2
gizmodog51
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i'm going to offer advice that was passed to me from a former neighbor who had an old sanke full of buttwiper.

he was gonna just throw it out, the beer was several years old and he didn't know anything about it. i convinced him to save it after he picked up the homebrew bug from yours truly.

he later told me how he was able to use a small screwdriver and remove a spring clip /circlip which held in a ball and spring unit. from what i remember it all sorta came out together. he plans on filling it, keg conditioning and using the sanke tap i traded him for a regulator.

i think it can be done i'm sure he wouldn't pull my leg and besides that's why he wanted my sanke tap for trade.

wishing you luck

GD

Last edited by gizmodog51; 01-30-2013 at 03:25 PM. Reason: typo

Old 01-29-2013, 10:07 PM   #3
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 396 Times on 338 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Search around a bit, lots of people use Sanke kegs for homebrew. The spiral ring can be removed with a small sharp screwdriver...and can be installed with a pair of pliers or a crescent wrench works even better. Search clutchdude for the spiral ring installation tutorial.

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Old 01-29-2013, 10:12 PM   #4
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3203 Times on 3107 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Yes, lots of homebrewers use sankey kegs for fermenting or serving in, and IMO they're a better system than corny kegs. You'll need a sankey coupler to serve from a sankey keg. The spear is easy to remove/replace once you get the hang of it (on most kegs). Typically you need to pry out the end of the spiral retaining ring, pull the rest of the ring out with pliers, and then the spear simply twists slightly to align with the notches in the neck, and then pulls right out. If you're going to be using sankey kegs a lot, it helps to have a spare coupler with the check valves removed. That allows easy transfers to or from a sankey without removing the spear.

Here's a quick video showing how the spear comes out on a standard type D sankey. There are some that have a tamper resistant feature that are a PITA (some miller kegs most notably), but they're not very common.

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash

Old 01-29-2013, 10:15 PM   #5
hubbs
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Thanks for the info!

I will try playing with it this evening.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:18 PM   #6
geckholm
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 67

You absolutely can use it for dispensing beer, did it last month! But, that is a lot of headspace to fill with C02 if all your putting in it is 5 gallons. Worked great though.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:21 PM   #7
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I am seriuoslly thinking of going the sanke route - a 50 litre keg is cheaper than a 5 gallon corny over here! Biggest thing would be cleaning and sanitising. My eperience with my corny kegs is that cleaning only takes a spray with the hose to get 99.9% of the sediment out. I will be looking at breaking down each keg every 4 batches or so to inspect and ensure they are thoruoghly clean. Between batches I was thinking to rig up a spare sanke tap (with check valve removed) to flush/clean the keg while it is tipped upside down. Then run sanitiser through aswell. Then flip back over and fill with homebrew.
Going to take a while to get sorted as I got to get one more for an HLT, and then another for fermenting in, then finally get a couple for serving!

Old 01-30-2013, 12:15 AM   #8
patthebrewer
Manasquan River Brewing LLC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 124

aside from my cornies, I have a sixtel, and a quarter barrel that I fill, and dispense from, they are very easy to get apart, they are alot easier than cornies to clean and san (less parts). Only very slightly more of a pain to get back together (spiral spring is alittle tricky) although not bad.

ManasquanRiverBrewingllc@outlook.com

"Custom Hand Crafted Fine Brewing Implements, Mash Paddles & Wood Working For Brewers by a Brewer. Serving both Pro Brewers and Home Brewing Customers"

Available thru the Fine Folks at MoreBeer! Inc.

Also available thru select Local Home Brew Stores
World Wide.

Like us on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/ManasquanRi...wingLLC?ref=hl

Old 01-30-2013, 12:54 AM   #9
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 396 Times on 338 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Rather than using pliers to reinstall the spiral ring, try a crescent wrench, adjusting it snug on the snap ring and rocking the wrench outward works great to "chase" the spiral ring back into the groove...I used pliers or channel locks for a few years and just recently grabbed a nearby adjustable "crescent" wrench...bingo works even better!

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0
patthebrewer Likes This 
Old 02-02-2013, 01:27 PM   #10
patthebrewer
Manasquan River Brewing LLC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 124

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserbrewer View Post
Rather than using pliers to reinstall the spiral ring, try a crescent wrench, adjusting it snug on the snap ring and rocking the wrench outward works great to "chase" the spiral ring back into the groove...I used pliers or channel locks for a few years and just recently grabbed a nearby adjustable "crescent" wrench...bingo works even better!
Great idea! I'll have to try it!

ManasquanRiverBrewingllc@outlook.com

"Custom Hand Crafted Fine Brewing Implements, Mash Paddles & Wood Working For Brewers by a Brewer. Serving both Pro Brewers and Home Brewing Customers"

Available thru the Fine Folks at MoreBeer! Inc.

Also available thru select Local Home Brew Stores
World Wide.

Like us on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/ManasquanRi...wingLLC?ref=hl

Quick Reply