Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Another Regulator Problem

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2011, 06:58 AM   #1
Elshupacabra
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default Another Regulator Problem

I have a dual tap kegerator with a dual regulator (3 dials) that I built maybe 2 months ago and I've already gone through 2 5lb tanks of C02.

When I first got the system my beer wasn't ready so I carbonated some tap water just to see how/if it worked. Everything went well with that except that when I went to keg my beer...I didn't have any C02.

I chalked it up to inexperience (too high of pressure, faulty seals ect.) and re-filled. After I got it re-filled I spray tested EVERYTHING with soap water...found one little leak in the barb connected to the regulator. I bypassed that and just used the other barb and carbed my beer with the "set it and forget it" method.

It eventually carbonated and I was able to serve beers, except that I noticed that the regulator pressure would drop. I would set it at 12 and I would look at it the next night and it would be at 9...6...4...2. I figured it might be adjusting...so I re-adjusted the pressure back up to 12. Same thing happened...until...no more C02.

So, now I've removed the whole gas system from the kegs and I'm testing it and it's still dropping. I'll set it to 5PSI and it will drop...4...3..2 within a couple of hours. I fixed the faulty barb and sprayed down everything AGAIN and found no leaks.

So, faulty regulator, super secret leak or what? Next steps?

Bottled: NB's Chocolate Milk Stout

Kegged:

Future brews:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2011, 11:56 AM   #2
Ace_Club
Legendary Influential Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1526 Times on 1450 Posts
Likes Given: 52725

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elshupacabra View Post
So, now I've removed the whole gas system from the kegs and I'm testing it and it's still dropping. I'll set it to 5PSI and it will drop...4...3..2 within a couple of hours. I fixed the faulty barb and sprayed down everything AGAIN and found no leaks.

So, faulty regulator, super secret leak or what? Next steps?
Well, there is definitely still a leak in your setup as evidenced by the dropping pressure.

The first thing you should do is take everything apart and put it back together with some quality thread tape made for high pressure, gas applications. While you can use more permanent methods of sealing the threads/connections (i.e., JB Weld), that will mean that you won't be able to change the configuration if you decide to expand in the future.
"If guns don't kill people, why do we give people guns when they go to war? Why not just send the people?" - Ozzy Osbourne

Sent from my iPhone 4s.

Canon T2i | EF-S 18-55mm | EF 28mm 1.8 | EF 50mm 1.8 | EF-S 55-250mm

3 whipped dog straights, Gillette Ball End Tech, 1959 Gillette Fat Boy

Secondary: Strawberry Melomel

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply