Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Another newb foam thread
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2013, 12:15 AM   #1
Cathedral
40oz to freedom
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
 
Cathedral's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Toledo, Ohio
Posts: 904
Liked 278 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 178

Default Another newb foam thread

Ok. So I just tapped my first corny keg, and all I get is foam... and co2. The foam doesn't come out consistent, either, it sputters and stops and sputters. This isn't from the tap, but from the QD. Literally, right out of the keg, it sputters and foams. I don't know what the deal is.

Here's my setup:

5g corny ball lock
Had it set at 12 psi for a week
45F in the keezer.
10' 3/16 Bevflex, kept in the keezer, with a squeeze tap.
line, tap and qd are all brand new
Yes, the keg is assembled correctly: gray in, black out, diptube on the right side. Posts are in the right place. Pressure checked and foamy-water checked for leaks- no leaks.

The beer doesn't come out of the keg consistently, it sputters and there are definitely air bubbles coming straight out of the keg.

I've searched but most of the threads I see say "line too short" or "line too warm." My line is the same temp, and 10' is what everyone suggests. I would really like some help here. Ask me questions if you need some more information.

__________________
CTHUL:HURTY Picobrewery
On Deck:
Primary: Ex Cathedra IIPA (Weevil Dead v2.0)
Kegged: Jalapeno Cream Ale
Cathedral is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2013, 12:17 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 62,848
Liked 4934 Times on 3576 Posts
Likes Given: 994

Default

It sounds like the problem is in the post or disconnect on the "out" side.

Did you take apart the post and/or the disconnect? It could be that the poppit is clogged a bit with hops particles. I had a disconnect that I took apart to clean, and lost a gasket and didn't know it- until I had a problem like yours.

__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2013, 12:31 AM   #3
Cathedral
40oz to freedom
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
 
Cathedral's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Toledo, Ohio
Posts: 904
Liked 278 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 178

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
It sounds like the problem is in the post or disconnect on the "out" side.

Did you take apart the post and/or the disconnect? It could be that the poppit is clogged a bit with hops particles. I had a disconnect that I took apart to clean, and lost a gasket and didn't know it- until I had a problem like yours.
I took apart the post. I bought a used keg kit from a guy here on the forums. Before I kegged, I noticed that I have two different styles of QDs, and two different styles of poppits. I assembled them the way the internet told me (from Morebeer, Northern Brewer, etc). Thats how it was when it first started foaming. I then took it apart and re-assembled it the way I bought it (the poppit is a different style) and it still foams the same. I'm wondering if the o-ring has a hole, or the dip-tube, because the way it is foaming, I don't think think it could be doing that if everything was solid. It comes out as a spurt of beer, a spurt of gas, a spurt of beer, etc. which implies a mechanical defect--somehow gas is getting into the line after the liquid enters the dip tube. Sound right?
__________________
CTHUL:HURTY Picobrewery
On Deck:
Primary: Ex Cathedra IIPA (Weevil Dead v2.0)
Kegged: Jalapeno Cream Ale
Cathedral is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2013, 12:34 AM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 62,848
Liked 4934 Times on 3576 Posts
Likes Given: 994

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathedral View Post
I took apart the post. I bought a used keg kit from a guy here on the forums. Before I kegged, I noticed that I have two different styles of QDs, and two different styles of poppits. I assembled them the way the internet told me (from Morebeer, Northern Brewer, etc). Thats how it was when it first started foaming. I then took it apart and re-assembled it the way I bought it (the poppit is a different style) and it still foams the same. I'm wondering if the o-ring has a hole, or the dip-tube, because the way it is foaming, I don't think think it could be doing that if everything was solid. It comes out as a spurt of beer, a spurt of gas, a spurt of beer, etc. which implies a mechanical defect--somehow gas is getting into the line after the liquid enters the dip tube. Sound right?
Or, a little piece of hops debris is clogging the poppit.

You could try depressurizing the keg, and taking the post off and checking. Hold the long diptube up to a light source and eyeball it. You should be able to see if it's partially occluded or has a pinhole. Take off and lube the o-rings. There is one under the diptube, one on the poppit, and one around the outside of the post.

Do you have another black QD to swap it out? That would probably be my first line of troubleshooting.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
Yooper is offline
Cathedral Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2013, 12:35 AM   #5
zachattack
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: , MA
Posts: 2,565
Liked 249 Times on 213 Posts
Likes Given: 140

Default

Sounds like the dip tube o-ring is compromised...

__________________
zachattack is offline
Cathedral Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2013, 12:44 AM   #6
Cathedral
40oz to freedom
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
 
Cathedral's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Toledo, Ohio
Posts: 904
Liked 278 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 178

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Or, a little piece of hops debris is clogging the poppit.

You could try depressurizing the keg, and taking the post off and checking. Hold the long diptube up to a light source and eyeball it. You should be able to see if it's partially occluded or has a pinhole. Take off and lube the o-rings. There is one under the diptube, one on the poppit, and one around the outside of the post.

Do you have another black QD to swap it out? That would probably be my first line of troubleshooting.
No hop debris. It was a porter, so there wasn't much hop to begin with, but like I said, I changed the poppit out with a brand new one and cleaned the post and it was still the same. I haven't checked the dip tube yet, or the o-rings. I just wanted to make sure I was headed in the right direction before I started ripping it all apart. Thanks, Yoop.
__________________
CTHUL:HURTY Picobrewery
On Deck:
Primary: Ex Cathedra IIPA (Weevil Dead v2.0)
Kegged: Jalapeno Cream Ale
Cathedral is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2013, 12:44 AM   #7
Cathedral
40oz to freedom
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
 
Cathedral's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Toledo, Ohio
Posts: 904
Liked 278 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 178

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachattack View Post
Sounds like the dip tube o-ring is compromised...
That's where I be a-thinking...
__________________
CTHUL:HURTY Picobrewery
On Deck:
Primary: Ex Cathedra IIPA (Weevil Dead v2.0)
Kegged: Jalapeno Cream Ale
Cathedral is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2013, 12:46 AM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 62,848
Liked 4934 Times on 3576 Posts
Likes Given: 994

Default

Yeah, what Zach said! There is something that isn't sealing right, causing that bubbling/c02 coming out in spurts. If it's not the poppit or QD, it's got to be a torn o-ring.

If you have any mineral oil, lube it well. Those little orings can tear easily.

__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
Yooper is offline
Cathedral Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2013, 12:56 AM   #9
Cathedral
40oz to freedom
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
 
Cathedral's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Toledo, Ohio
Posts: 904
Liked 278 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 178

Default

Well, I'll be damned. Turns out I didn't have an o-ring on the dip tube. I took apart my other kegs to see they had it and, yep. Took apart the keg with beer, and no o-ring! Swapped an o-ring to it, and now it pours silky smooth!

Thanks, HBT! Damn, I love this place. Off to make a paid subscription instead of mooching...

__________________
CTHUL:HURTY Picobrewery
On Deck:
Primary: Ex Cathedra IIPA (Weevil Dead v2.0)
Kegged: Jalapeno Cream Ale
Cathedral is offline
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2013, 02:40 AM   #10
zachattack
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: , MA
Posts: 2,565
Liked 249 Times on 213 Posts
Likes Given: 140

Default

I love a happy ending

__________________
zachattack is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Newb Keg Foam Question HopHeadGrady Bottling/Kegging 17 03-19-2012 06:03 PM
KEg inserts for no foam....help with thread ILOVEBEER Kegerators and Keezers 15 09-08-2010 08:40 PM
Yet another newb thread lostfighter Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 4 07-29-2010 12:51 AM
Another Newb thread Bigban Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 5 04-25-2009 04:53 AM
Another "too much foam" thread jacksonbrown Bottling/Kegging 3 06-29-2008 12:41 AM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS