*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Another forgot to purge keg, plus I shook it!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2010, 01:25 PM   #1
TheMarquis
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Another forgot to purge keg, plus I shook it!

So I forgot to purge my keg after filling it yesterday and I also shook the hell out of it after it cooled down most of the way with 25 PSI on it. I did get pretty close to filling it full so there wasn't that much headspace in it from the beginning. I just went ahead and purged it but I'm afraid the damage is done. Is there hope or anything I should do? Should I take the gas off and keep purging it to let it go flat and start over? It's pretty carbonated (or oxygenated) already.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2010, 01:49 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

Beer out-gasses CO2 during the racking process, so the headspace will have little oxygen in it. Purging is a good idea, but it is unlikely you'll have a problem.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 04-24-2010, 02:03 PM   #3
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 165 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 4

We'll see you in a few days when you asking, "why am I pouring all foam".

Old 04-24-2010, 02:17 PM   #4
TheMarquis
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
We'll see you in a few days when you asking, "why am I pouring all foam".
Because of oxygen being in it or because of the method?

Old 04-24-2010, 05:02 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

Because if the beer was chilled before you carbonated at 25 psi, it will foam. Now, if you carbonated at 25 psi and then chilled it, no problem.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 04-24-2010, 05:05 PM   #6
alcibiades
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
Because if the beer was chilled before you carbonated at 25 psi, it will foam. Now, if you carbonated at 25 psi and then chilled it, no problem.
out of curiosity ,why?

Old 04-24-2010, 05:13 PM   #7
TheMarquis
Recipes 

It didn't reach equilibrium with the gas on at 25, so overcarbonation isn't my issue.

Old 04-24-2010, 05:53 PM   #8
jaba
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
If I'm in a hurry and shaking my keg to carb, I chill it first, then put about 30psi on it, shake the crap out of it, and repeat 2 to 3 more times. Never have foam problems here. I could see it being way overcarbed if he just chilled it and set it at 25 psi to carb without shaking though.

Old 04-26-2010, 03:04 AM   #9
SweetSounds
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I wouldn't worry about it. Even purging isn't perfect. You pressurize, pull the ring, wait, pull the ring, wait, pull the ring. The whole time CO2 is mixing with "air" and your simply lowering the ratio of the two. It's nearly impossible to get ALL oxygen out of a keg, even with little headspace.

I'm sure it could be argued either way, but unless you plan to leave it in there to age for a LONG time, I wouldn't worry about it.

Drink on! I'm guessing the keg will be empty long before that oxygen gets to your beer. (At least that's been my experience so far)

And shaking a keg is fine. Yea, overcarbing sucks. Don't do that. I sometimes shake to speed up the process. In fact I'll do that next weekend when I take my fresh Irish Stout to FL on vacation. I'm NOT waiting 3 weeks! Just make sure you shake to get close you your desired volumes, but not over. Then let it finish naturally in a day or two.

Put some duct tape over the gauge - Or better yet - Replace the high pressure gauge with a plug - High pressure gauges are useless!

Last edited by SweetSounds; 04-26-2010 at 03:07 AM.

Quick Reply