The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Announcement to potential keezer builders!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2009, 02:11 AM   #1
mattchu09
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Announcement to potential keezer builders!!

So I had been playing around with the idea of putting the money into building a keezer for a while and had been holding back to find a deal on CL for a cheap used freezer. Problem was, I live in an apartment and really had been leaning towards the smaller 3-4 corny freezers. So I wandered into Lowe's last night to see the Holiday 5.3 cu ft. in person and did a double take when I saw a nice pretty yellow sticker on the one in the store announcing a new lower price of $166!!

These puppies had been $188 for the past 5-6 months and Lowe's just dropped the price across their line of Holiday's as well as their Whirpool brand. I asked the appliance manager if I could buy the floor model and he said no because they were getting a new shipment and the $166 was the new lower price! They also had the same price drop on the Holiday 6.8 cu ft which can hold four cornys for $196! The Whirpool 8.9 cu. ft was also on sale for $256!! bucks. I almost walked out of there with one heck of a deal on the Whirpool, but that was totally illogical for my current space limitations.

Anyway, anyone out there waiting for a deal or prices to drop, these things are a steal!

Holiday 5.3 cu ft.- Was $188, now $166

Holiday 6.8 cu ft.- Was $218, now $196

Whirpool 8.9 cu ft.- Was $298, now a STEAL at $256!!!

I am located in Cincinnati, Ohio so I am not sure whether these deals are local or not, but I am pretty sure the Holiday brands are permanent price drops. Anyway just wanted to give everyone a heads up! This weekend its to work on my keezer collar!!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2009, 01:01 PM   #2
mtnjam7
Recipes 

I was in a Lowe's in South Jersey this weekend and they were the same price as you just listed. So it's not just in Ohio.

Old 03-18-2009, 01:58 PM   #3
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Just make sure you check craigslist and other 'local classifieds'. Seems there are always chest freezers and refrigerators on there for a song. People routinely sell these same chest freezers for $30-$60...in perfect or almost perfect condition. My Magic Chef 7.2 cu ft in great cond. was $40 and my lager fridge was free.

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 03-18-2009, 03:38 PM   #4
nealf
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I will concur with Craigslist... I don't care if it's scratched and/or dented... I got my chest freezer for $35. Maybe I'm too cheap to be in this hobby though

Old 03-18-2009, 04:27 PM   #5
stevenryals
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i got a 15cf chest freezer in great condition for $60 off CL

Primary: Oktoberfest
Secondary: NBC JulyFly, Pliney the Elder
Keg: Bottled: Grahms English Cider, Kolsch, Newcastle, Stone IPA, Grand Cru Barolo Red, Grand Cru Chianti, Vida Vino Pinot Grigio, Oktoberfest Lager, Grand Cru Peisporter
YTD Gallons Brewed: 155

Old 03-18-2009, 04:31 PM   #6
XXguy
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 26

If I was investing other new parts... maybe I'd want to buy a shiny new freezer for making a keezer. However, I gotta give +3 for Craigslist.

I've currently got 3 fridges for my brewing, 2 full size and one mid-size. Total investment $25 + time & gas to pick them up. It's just a hobby, so money saved = money to spend on other stuff.

Old 03-18-2009, 11:47 PM   #7
mattchu09
Recipes 

I agree with all the above posters here, CL is definitely the place to find some freezers on the cheap, but like I mentioned in my original post I have some space restrictions and was in search of a smaller freezer to convert. It seemed to me like all the freezers I found on craigslist were of the bigger variety, which of course I had no option of buying because I live in an apartment. I don't know whether its because they just didn't make many of the smaller cube freezers or they just aren't as popular, but after about six months of searching for one I gave in and bought a new one.

Here is a quick question for you guys who have built them, any problems with chrome plated brass shanks with welded nipples? I am getting perlick faucets and was wondering whether the stainless steel shanks were worth the extra money, or if most people don't even notice the difference. Thanks!

Old 03-19-2009, 07:33 PM   #8
schristian619
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

if you have patience, craigslist is the best place. I have 2 7cu ft whirlpools (the costco ones) that i got for a combined $115. I debated buying new, but for these, used is the way to go IMO

Old 03-19-2009, 07:47 PM   #9
ScottyT
Recipes 

The demand for used chest freezers is huge out here. The only one I have seen in the last month for under $100 is the one I snagged for $40 a couple minutes after the ad went up. I plan on selling it for $100 as soon as I can afford a bigger/newer model.

I BREW THE BEER I DRINK!

Old 03-27-2009, 12:10 PM   #10
ProvRIGuy
Recipes 

Default Holiday 5.3 Out of Stock?

I've been reading HBT for a couple of months now and the information here is incredible.

I am finally getting my budget to a point where I was going to buy a new 5.3 Holiday - CL is driving me crazy... just when I think I have a sale closed, the other person backs out. I need a small freezer to fit in the closet of my condo.

I went to lowes.com last night, and the 5.3 is showing as unavailable at stores throughout New England. Is anyone else seeing this?

I'll be going to a store today to see whether this is true... maybe there's still a floor model available somewhere.

Holiday at Lowe's: 5.3 Cu. Ft. Chest Freezer (Color: White)

Quick Reply