*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Amount of priming sugar to add to prime at room temp

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2013, 02:50 PM   #1
befus
Mr. Infecto
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Amount of priming sugar to add to prime at room temp

I am about to prime a keg of old ale and then store in my basement for a couple of months (2-4) before hooking up to gas ans serving. At the moment I have a small kegerator and have not the space to store under refrigeration. It should maintain a temp of about 62-65F over that time. I learned I must hit it with gas to seal the keg, but am wondering if in storage at those temps it will maintain high enough pressure to stay sealed as the beer absorbs co2, thus my question on how much sugar to use. I see four ounces commonly used for kegging, but is that enough for my purpose? Thanks for any help.

Award winning:
Northern Brown Ale

"Guess I'll watch some TV, cuz it's nice to see people more messed up than me."

Primary:
Bottled: Wee Ain't Heavy (Wee Heavy);
Kegged: Brown Rhyno Old Ale (Rye Knot+ clone); Second Amendment Vanilla/Bourbon Porter; Pale Ale (a'la EdWort's Haus Pale);
On Deck: Northern Brown; Kolsch; Apricot wheat,

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2013, 02:56 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4506 Times on 3277 Posts
Likes Given: 883

Quote:
Originally Posted by befus View Post
I am about to prime a keg of old ale and then store in my basement for a couple of months (2-4) before hooking up to gas ans serving. At the moment I have a small kegerator and have not the space to store under refrigeration. It should maintain a temp of about 62-65F over that time. I learned I must hit it with gas to seal the keg, but am wondering if in storage at those temps it will maintain high enough pressure to stay sealed as the beer absorbs co2, thus my question on how much sugar to use. I see four ounces commonly used for kegging, but it that enough for my purpose? Thanks for any help.
I'd probably use 2-2.5 ounces for the keg- normally you use have of the priming sugar for a keg as you would for a bottle. If you hit it with 30 psi when you keg it, and it seals, it should stay sealed as it carbs up.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply