*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Am I doing twice the work for no reason?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2011, 04:49 PM   #1
Daniel82
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Am I doing twice the work for no reason?

I just got finished soaking some new bottles to get the labels off in some oxyclean free. I've read on here that to get the "oxyclean slick" off the bottles you need water with some acid based solution in it. I used some white vinegar and some water. I was reading Palmer's How to Brew and saw that Starsan is also an acid based sanitizer. If I'm going to sanitize each of my bottles before I add my homebrew am I just adding more work for myself on bottling day by doing the vinegar rinse?

Everyone I'm sure knows bottling day is already a little bit of a chore. I'm just trying to nail down my process to make it as simple and effective as possible.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2011, 05:06 PM   #2
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Yes and no. I like clean bottles before I use Star San so I don't get it gunked up because I mix it will distilled water and use it for a couple months. If you are mixing a new batch every time, you could just use the Star San to remove residue. You still have to rinse with water thoroughly after using Oxyclean.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:06 PM   #3
KAMMEE
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Short answer, no, you should sanitize right before you bottle on bottling day and I don't think you're duplicating effort. I assume you're removing labels and cleaning bottles well before bottling day as a pre-work activity. If you are doing this in two separate activities, cleaning and sanitizing, then I see no harm in what you're doing and would agree its a good practice. But if you're using vinegar right before you sanitize, on the same day, then you're duplicating some effort although I think it is necessary because you do want that oxyclean slick off your bottles before you sanitize and what you're doing facilitates that.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:13 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2734 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I still sanitize on bottling day despite descaling with starsan on delabelling day. You shouldnever consider cutting corners or scrimping where sanitization is concerned.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-09-2011, 05:18 PM   #5
bertmurphy
Recipes 

You could use the oxyclean to remove the labels, then throw the bottles in the dishwasher without detergent. I've done this for my last couple batches and it works fine. The bottom rack of my dishwasher has about 50 bars sticking up that allow you to fit the bottle upside down onto each of them. The steam will sanitize them. Just make sure they've been scrubbed before they go in.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:22 PM   #6
Daniel82
Recipes 

I am soaking them to remove labels this morning. I do plan on bottling tonight, so it would be in the same day. As I'm taking them out of the oxyclean soak and removing labels, I'm rinsing them with tap water and then taking them over to my vinegar and water mix and doing another rinse. I then let them dry upside down in my dishwasher rack then cover with aluminum foil till I plan on bottling tonight. I will dip them in starsan when its time to bottle tonight. Just wondering if the vinegar rinse is necessary. Not a bit deal just trying to be efficient.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:25 PM   #7
Daniel82
Recipes 

I'm just hesitant about my dishwasher because it's an appartment dishwasher and wasn't working well when we moved in. It still doesnt do a good job of cleaning dishes so don't use it. I know it would be to sanitize and not clean, but I have starsan so I plan on using it anyway.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:26 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2734 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I've never tested it, but I've always wondered though if "descaling" with starsan doesn't somehow change the ph, or the chemical components of the sanitizer, and maybe render in neutralized somehow. Personally I wouldn't want to risk it. If I were doing it all on the same day I personally would fill one side of a double sided sink with dilluted starsan to de-scale, then rinse that off in the other sink, THEN sanitize as I normally would using my vinator.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-09-2011, 05:30 PM   #9
Daniel82
Recipes 

Yea I gotta get me a vinator. I'm just dunking them with starsan and have them sitting upside down in my dishwasher waiting their turn to be bottled.

Quick Reply